1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using an Ibanez SR500 for Punk Rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by breakHARD77, May 10, 2010.

1. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    I'm currently looking to get a new bass, and I'm a bit lost. I thought I had a good thing going when I found a good deal for an S500, but now I'm reconsidering. I looked up the equipment for a lot of the bass players that I'm trying to emulate online (Mark Hoppus of Blink-182, Mike Dirnt of Green Day, etc.), and none of them use an Ibanez. This worries me.

I've heard that using an active Ibanez is better for a punk sound than a passive, but do you think that I should still go through with this? Thoughts?

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Almost any bass can fit into any genre of music... sound wise... active or passive... its a matter of personal preference. To look the part I'd go with a fender p or j... Maybe even a sting ray... mike herrera from mxpx uses one but his is passive I believe. Ibanezes are alright, but I'd get a precision...

3. Do you have the oppurtunity to try before you buy it? Fiddle with the settings if you do and see if you can find a good tone. If you can't, I'd pass over it, unless it feels like butter in your hands. Since both of those artists use P basses, why not try one yourself? Whats your price point?

4. breakHARD77

breakHARD77

May 6, 2010
    I'd love a Stingray, but it's a little out of my price range at this point. A Fender P or J is probably what I'm going to have to go with.

I was hoping for something under $450. Did you have any suggestions? :)

5. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Okay, I'm gonna just go ahead and say it.

Punk is all about the attitude! :bassist:

Alright now that I've gotten that out of my system. Try rockin that thing out and see if it works for you Don't hold yourself to what other people are using. While it can help point you in the right direction for tone it shouldn't dissuade you from trying to find your own voice and style.

If you want a good case study analogy of bassists who use instruments not normally associated with their genre, look at Mr Mendez here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=495514

6. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    From your post it sounds like your worried that the Ibanez won't fit into the scene that you're apart of. Use whatever bass you like the best. If it happens to be a bass that isn't "cool" for punk rock then that's actually really "cool" because part of being punk is doing your damnedest to not be "cool" at all which is a really cool thing to do in punk rock. Punk is about rebellion. So, if the Ibanez is your thing then use it. Whatever bass you choose be sure and slap a VanHalen sticker on it or better yet a DefLeppard sticker on it because that would be really uncool which would be a really cool thing to do in punk rock.