1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using JBL E130 for bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skyboltone, Nov 27, 2010.

1. skyboltone

skyboltone

Nov 19, 2010
    Sparks, Nevada
    I've got a pair of E-130 15" speakers. They were the next up the line from the fragile D-130 from the way back machine. Anyway, normally one would use the E-140 with it's ribbed cone for bass. The E130 is smooth. I think the motors are the same. I would consider using one in the Bill Fitzmaurice tallboy horn bass cab and fiddle a bit with the port loading.

Anyway, being a PA/Guitar speaker, is the E130 suitable for bass? I've not seen T/S parameters for either speaker but I know where to get them. Perhaps Lansing Heritage is the best place to post this question but I thought I would try here first.

Dan

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Don't. The 2.5mm xmax limits power handling below 100 Hz to about 75 watts.

3. skyboltone

skyboltone

Nov 19, 2010
    Sparks, Nevada
    I was just now looking over on the Heritage site and that became abundantly clear. The woofer Bill recommends has and xmax of 18mm!!