1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using protection

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Precision345, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    For hearing that is... hehe

All jokes aside, I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread so here it is...

I am wondering what some of you use for hearing protection during practices, jam sessions, gigs, concerts, etc.?

I really need to start wearing ear plugs but I just can't seem to wear ear plugs for more than a few minutes before they annoy the **** out of me. I generally use the type you would find in a factory, or construction site or whatever. My friend bought a huge box so i just snag a handful here and there..

Has anyone tried any of the Hearos brand ear plugs or any of the other brands out there?? I know a few people who use isolation headphones and I hear good things. I've even thought about seeing an audiologist to get some form fitted plugs specific to my ear but I don't think $100 are really practical considering I would probably lose them in a week.

Please express your thoughtsssss

2. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    High volume and no protection = hearing loss. I use the green foam plugs for my "day job". They take some getting used to but it's better than the alternative. For years I didn't use them and at age 53 I have permanent ringing in the ears. So no matter what you use the important thing is use something. My 2 cents......

3. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    New thread, same responce. Etymotic Research ER20

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Here's a link to the TB stickie on the topic: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/hearing-loss-ear-plugs-3743/

I use custom fitted plugs.

I got one set with a -25db filter and a second solid set(no filter) with a string embedded so when I take them off I can hang them around my neck.

The second set cost about $40 because the mold was already made.

With the plugs connected with the string, I'm not really worried about losing them. I use them the most.

I wear them everywhere there is loud music/noise. Ear damage from loud music/noise is cumulative and nothing can be done to repair it.

5. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    This is the original thread actually hehe

6. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    I use custom molded earplugs made by Westone Labs. 40db "plugs". I wear them anywhere loud. At work, concerts, even at church (the band is loud). $120 for them 12 years ago.

7. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I heard an ad on the radio for people who go to many a concerts that they have a new procedure that takes your hearing down a few db or something and protects your ears.

8. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I wear Hearo Musician plugs to every single gig, concert, practice, etc. I keep meaning to go to an audiologist to get custom fitted.

As in a medical procedure?

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I tried various types of ear plugs but didn't like any of them and do not use them at all. They all made the sound muffled, undefined and lacking clarity. I have a former band mate who has severe tinnitus due to playing in bands but the rest of us who have played with him have not had any problems with earing loss. If you control your volume properly, you shouldn't need them. On the db scale, an increase of 10 will sound twice as loud so a noise at 70db will sound twice as loud as a noise at 60db. Hearing loss can result from constant exposure to levels at 85db and constant exposure to levels under 75db usually will not result in any hearing loss. As a reference point, a normal conversation is around 60db.

Here are a couple of links to websites that might help

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/noise.aspx

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/hearing-loss/

10. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
  11. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    How does Lemmy do it? He's claimed to never have used hearing protection and Motorhead is basically the loudest band on Earth

12. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Yeah I swear in the summer there was a commercial on classic rock station talking about concerts and one of the DJs said he had the proceedure done where your ears get protected up to certain DBs....but I googled it and cant find anything so I must have heard it wrong....but I wouldnt have remembered that unless they drilled the commercial into my head 1000 times so I dont know....they made it sound like laser eye correction. it sounded like one of those commercials for your ears!

13. Baer

Baer

Jul 8, 2008
    First, $100 for protecting your hearing is a no-brainer. I won't practice or play a gig without mine. Regarding muffled sound, the filters in custom-molded plugs pass a reasonably even frequency spectrum, so there is no muffling of the sound.