1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using the Balanced Line Out on SVT CL

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kosko, May 9, 2006.

1. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I was wondering how I go about using this. I've tried going from the balanced line out to the mbox but it would only record very faintly. Quiet, like something was wrong with the way I was doing it. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little insight on this. Thanks.

2. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I'm sure someone knows about using the line out on one of the most classic heads of all time...

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the cable you are using... It doesn't have a level control, so if your preamp section is not putting out a lot, neither will the line out.

4. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    i've heard you always need to be playing through a cabinet as well, or you risk blowing out the head. does this go for when you're using the balance out as well. or can you run the head using the balance out without being plugged into a cabinet? thanks.

5. BulkHead

BulkHead

Oct 14, 2005
    Manassas VA
    If you take the power tubes out (all 6) you can safely run the amp with no load.

6. Big D

Big D

May 26, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I tried the XLR out on my SVT CL head, and it sounded awful. The signal was very low and there was some kind of radio or other interference.

FWIW I am using a direct box for both recording and live shows and have not spent any additional time trying to make the SVT CL XLR out work.

7. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    just wanted to know if this works with all valve amps? i have a trace elliot v6, so could i just pull all the valves and not damage it when i use the d.i. to record without a cab?

8. Two things come to mind.

1. To maintain optimum levels you must retain the signal as a balanced signal or convert it properly. Improper balanced to unbalanced conversion (ie; shorting out one phase) causes you to loose half the signal strength.

2. The signal amplitude (level) will be in the vicinity of a microphones output level.

The solution to both problems, ensure you're plugging into a balanced microphone input.

9. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Also the DI on the svt-cl is post everything, including the master volume. If you don't turn it up you don't get a signal. The di on those heads is great imo.