Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using two amps at once...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Last night, I got kinda curious as to how one might do this without buying a switchbox or whatnot. Noting that my larger amp -- a Yorkville 100B -- has a line out, and I had two patch cords, I plugged my bass into the Yorkville and then put one end of the patch into the line out and then the other end into the input on my Peavey Microbass. Now, it worked in that both amps made sound, but the sound from my Peavey was CRAAAAAZY noisy. Is there a cheap way to do this, but without the crazy, crazy noise? Is this just a problem with poor cables? (these aren't exactly monster cables, ya know).

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Instead of going from the line out into the peavey's input, go line out into the effects return of the peavey if it has a loop. This bypasses the peavey's pre and should be a cleaner signal.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nay, it only has an input and a headphone out.

4. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Ok, well then I guess you're doing it the only way you can, or only way I know how. :smug:

5. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Well you need some kind of splitter if you want to make sound to come out of both amps. Also plugging a 100w into a 20w microbass may cause some probs. 20w to 100w will be ok but the microbass has 2 outputs but both cut off the speaker.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Yeah, I was thinking the wattage issues might cause some problems, so I only had 'em set up like that for a couple minutes and not at high volumes by any means. Thanks, I was just a bit curious to see if I could get some more mileage out of my microbass!