Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using your ear?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by i_like_feedback, May 21, 2004.

1. i_like_feedback

i_like_feedback

May 20, 2004
    Hey

So i was wondering if you guys had any liek tips on how to use your ear to hear the bass parts of songs. Im trying to leanr "yous hook me all night long" but am having trouble hearing the bass. my stereo only has a "DBB" setting which is like digital something bass, adn pre-set techno and bass settings that you select for each type of music.

i have the pre-set settings to rock adn teh DBB to 3, all which have teh highset bass settings possible. any help?

2. A decent stereo (or good headphones might be even better) will do wonders when you're trying to pick out a hard to hear part. The clarity makes it a lot easier. For example, when I listened to D's Diner, from one of Claypool's newer CDs, I could barely tell one bass from the other, and could only hear two of them anyway. With my quality headphones, I could distinguish all three. Good equipment isn't necessary, but it helps. Practice, however, is also important, and can compensate for lousy gear.

3. EmmSee

EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Take it in small chunks. Get good with your remote for your stereo, be able to pause it at the end of phrases and then work out that phrase. My stereo has a great fast-forward / rewind, I tried them all out a the store to make sure it was quick, haha. It's a cheap Philips.

I don't think turning the setting to high bass or techno will help, since it will just get too muddy and you'll have a hard time.

When you take a song like that from AC/DC, listen to the guitar too, there's your bass note!

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I have two bits of advice. If you want to hear more bass guitar, don't just turn up the bass on your stereo - turn up the treble and bass equally. Regarding "You Shook Me All Night Long" - There is no bass at the begining, so hopefully your not going crazy trying to hear the bass in the intro and first verse. The bass comes in on the first chorus.

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    That's right. To hear the bass turn the treble up and the bass relative to it. Or, turn the bass down and really on the mix. It's amazing what you can hear in the bass frequency when you use treble.