1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USPS is not exactly inspiring confidence these days..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lesfunk, Aug 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Shipped to me nine days ago......... 8DDF022E-B34C-48D0-B4D1-7F0C7C90D372.jpeg

2. Lesfunk

I just visualize it sitting in a 140 degree container somewhere.....
    Warping....

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Dang

4. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Yeah. I had some cologne I purchased from a legit online discounter who I’ve used many times over. Normally 10 days from order to my door coast to coast. My last purchase? 37 days. 37!!! For a 1.5 Lb box smaller than a shoe box.

5. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Damascus, MD
    Yep. Teacup knobs for my Hofner. Supposed to be here a week ago. Still no idea where they’re at. Ordered a book from Baltimore (35 min drive from me). Went to NJ, then somewhere else. Ended up in my home PO, then to DC. Took them a week for what should have been next day.

6. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    All deliveries seem pretty whack right now. I really don't understand why the shipping industry is so affected by the insanity.

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Like every business/enterprise, couriers all operate in a just in time mode, not a just in case mode. Warehousing exists mostly in things that have wheels and an engine. Knock that off kilter for any reason and the system begins to falter.

Around here, the postal service seems to be able to get things to my city very quickly (overnight in most cases, where there’s no international border involved). Then the package moves slow as molasses from the depot in my city to my front door. I’d opt for couriers other than the postal service but they’re more expensive and half the time the package is delivered across the street. Crappy service, IMO.

Charlzm and GregC like this.
  8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I can think of one big one - loading a truck.

Bear in mind, that’s only one part of an entire supply chain process but it’s one that does not lend itself for safe, socially distanced practices. In my professional experiences, floor loading a ‘53 trailer may require a forklift operator and upwards of three team members to load cartons. You can’t socially distance this process, or, if you do, it’s going to take an exceptionally longer amount of time to load. When that happens, you get delays. Pallet loading isn’t hindered the same way but not all shipments can be done this way to maximize cube.

9. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Nine days? That’s fast right now.

JRA likes this.
  10. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    I believe it’s the combination of at least three factors:
    1. Shelter-in-place means more people are ordering goods for delivery rather than visiting brick-and-mortar shops
    2. Members of the workforce falling ill, or suspected possible and quarantining
    3. Possible package quarantine at international border crossings

11. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah. I guess I understand some delays, but I've had huge issues with communications and many delivery windows are "sometime tomorrow". I don't tend to order stuff online when I need it "quickly" and if it'll take 3 weeks instead of 1, I'm generally OK with that. Just give me a real date and reasonable window once it is scheduled - was held hostage for three days last week waiting for a scheduled delivery that kept being updated to "sometime tomorrow". I'm just glad I'm working from home and didn't have to take time off work to be home to sign for these incidents.

12. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Also, keep in mind that USPS just got a new Postmaster General back in May who has instituted a few changes.

13. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    The US Postal Service has been underfunded for years - a result of the government's treating it as a business which should succeed or fail on its own merits. Used to be that it was considered a SERVICE.

Now, the current Postmaster General, who has no experience in management, is running USPS further into the ground. It's not the fault of the workers.

14. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Oh yeah, are we allowed to mention who appointed him ?

15. Lesfunk

Nine days isn’t the real concern. I know USPS usually takes longer
    I’m pretty sure it will arrive eventually.
    It’s the delivery date unknown. It originally had a sheduled date that disappeared rather than being updated once it became late.
    I had another package shipped to me via fed ex from similar distance Shipped four days later and it came in three days with tracking updates every day.
    I think the piece of mind is worth the extra money

16. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    While, like you, I also have disconcerting reservations concerning Mr. DeJoy, if his Wiki page is to be believed, he has actually served in managerial positions in logistics since the 80s.

17. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    From my experience on the business side of things, couriers have a shortage of drivers right now. Even companies scheduled to pick up won’t show. They make appointments with the hope they can find a driver, and when they can’t, pickups are pushed out with little or no communication. This issue was ongoing before COVID in the US, but now it’s even worse.

18. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    All overtime was cut, so there aren't enough hours available to process the backlog. There is also a shortage of drivers to make the container long hauls.

19. Lets see, who is the Post Master General?

20. bsman

bsman

Apr 25, 2020
    Apparently, the US Post Office (as it was constituted then) was able to deliver ballots to soldiers overseas during every American conflict, so that argument is non sequitur, and a self-serving argument being currently used to try and invalidate or cast doubt upon election results; i.e. a self-fulfilling prophecy. Very underhanded and very wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.