1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

V4 B query

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tuneitdown, Jan 13, 2012.

1. tuneitdown

tuneitdown

Jan 13, 2012
    Hey all, first time poster here! I just picked up an early 70s V4 b. I will be running it through a 4 ohm ampeg 2x15 ( i think it dates from the early 70s). The question i have is will this produce enough volume too keep up with 2 marshall JMP guitar amps, and a sunn model T? If not whats a affordable volume boosting solution?

2. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    maybe.... dpending on how loud they play the marshalls. The V4 is a loud 100 watts but still just 100 watts. you can add another cab and use the V4B at 2 owhms which will increase your volume..

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I ran a V4BH with a SVT215E cab up against a 5150 halfstack and a Marshall JCM 800 stack and had no problem keeping up. I think the key with V4B's is to use an efficient cab- which the old folded horn V4B cab was. Saw a guy use one with an SVT II non pro, and it was killer. Felt it clear in the back of the bar and he wasn't even in the mix.

4. Some times I worried about running out of clean with my V4B and a 215 Altec loaded cab, but never did. A second 215 would have fixed any worry :D

5. arthur31686

arthur31686 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Depends on if you want constant grit in your tone. Even at 2 ohms I don't think you'll be able to rock the v4b without embracing the always on overdrive.

6. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    Good point about the overdrive. The key to good V4 tone is embracing the dirty (and man does it do the dirty well). I use mine in a loud rock setting, my guitarist uses an Orange full stack and my drummer plays a Bonham Ludwig vista-lite kit. When I run it through my Ampeg 810 I rarely want more volume. But it is definitely not clean at that volume.

7. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    And that is all part of the magic that the V4/V4B has, I love that it has a bit of grit in it's voicing.

8. tuneitdown

tuneitdown

Jan 13, 2012
    thanks all. The JMPs are generally turned up to 7. I am not afraid of the "dirty" at all, its one of the reasons I got v4. I have a kustom 1x15 combo that Im going to AB switch with it for the few instances i need super clean.