1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

V4B Classic: Function of Standby/XLR out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tubeampegbas734, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Tubeampegbas734

Tubeampegbas734

Oct 22, 2018
    Hello all. I have a question regarding the use of XLR out on my Ampeg v4b classic. I understand that it's a BIG NO NO to run the head without a speaker load connected, but does this rule apply when the head is in standby? My understanding is that while in standby, voltage is not sent to the power tubes (but possibly to the preamp tubes?) If this is so, then while in "standby," can I run my head to the board via the balanced out (which I understand is the post-preamp signal, without a speaker cab/load connected?
    Thanks for any help and info!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Boy is that a good question! I am pretty sure that it shuts down the preamp to put it in standby, too. However, you can always ask Ampeg CS about it.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Nothing works in standby. Both the preamp and power tubes are not amplifying. The XLR out taken at the output of the preamp. So the pre has to be working with the standby off (playing mode) for the XLR out to function.

Passinwind likes this.
  4. Tubeampegbas734

Tubeampegbas734

Oct 22, 2018
    Thanks so much!