vail johnson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jul 30, 2004.

1. THE MAN!....i mean, is there any better?...besides clips of two of his albums ive heard check out this vid
    im getting desperate for his albums, none on ebay :bawl: available to australia that is......also he plays a kubicki :smug: ...i think him and stu are toppers of my list, he puts claypool to shame :p IMO...anyone else dig this freak of nature
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He's a good player who's fallen off the face of the earth.
  3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I have his 'Terminator' cd! The man can funk out with the best of them! He's Kenny G's mainstay bassist. He makes those Kubicki's sing but I'd like to hear him on some other instruments as well like an MTD, Lakland or even a Fender Roscoe Beck 5.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    C'mon, be honest, you wouldn't give two bits about Vail if he didn't play a Kubicki. Sad reason to listen to Kenny G too.

I remember him being a bit of a blowhard...
  5. i dunno, i don't think he puts claypool to shame...
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    No, but he smoove. Like Kenny.
  7. The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Vail Johnson rules, one of my favorite slappers.
  8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I can listen to Primus all-day, yet I had to suffer through a short clip of this guy.

I also agree with the other guy that you wouldn't give a crap about him if he played a Ibanez or a Warwick.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't think Kenny G ever used Vail on a album except the live one. All the bass on Kenny G albums is of the reasons they suck so bad ;)
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

He posted under his own name. Remember the big stink over in the amps forum? That was when Mr. Johnson talked about why he thought 15" speakers were better than 10's for bass?
    He said that in his experience, 10" speakers could not keep up with 15's on stage.

WOW, did that one flame!! Glad I stayed out of it.

Don't know if he comes around anymore, but when he was here, he used his real name IIRC.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He actually posted under the name "vail_bass" - here's that thread :

I don't think he came across very well...? :meh:
  12. natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    Actually, I saw him play with my old lead vocalist Mike, and he used a Celinder 5 and a P-Bass, as well as a Kubicki. Either way he smokes.
  13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I don't like Kubiki's so don't lump me in that group...but Vail Johnson smokes over Les Claypool.
    I like Claypool, but his playing is sloppy, uneven at times, and generally alot of noise.
    Vail is a much more "cleaner" player, syncopation is right on, and tone is much more focused.

Oh yeah, he's been known to play a J-bass too.
  14. Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Well, he's not totally off the face of the earth. As noted above, he still does the Kenny G stuff, and he also plays just about every weekend in a corporate band (my guitarist plays the same gig) - they mostly play San Diego, but also as far north as Monterrey, and occasional out of state gigs. And before anyone dismisses the corporate gigs, it's a 32 piece band carrying it's own stage, sound, and lighting in 2 semi-trailers ... not a small venture.

Take care,
  15. ok this could just be my stupidity, but what the hell is a corporate gig?
  16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Big corporations often have big private conventions, and they either hire big name bands or some known local bands. Either way they usually pay big bucks :) They have them out here all the time......also known as tux gigs.
  17. Tony

Feb 16, 2004
    Southern California
    Heath, what Jerry said ... in this case, they're not a "known" band in any way, other than the players are all pro's who usually have other main gigs ala Vail. They'll play the entire gamut of popular music (iirc, they have a catalog of close to 1000 songs) so players have to be extremely versatile and have excellent reading chops. Hiring them is in the 25K+ range, and players make $350-$750 a gig, depending on venue and travel.

Take care,
  18. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Thanks for the clarification! I knew it was something like that.

No, he didn't come across very well at all. I mean, everyone is entitled to their opinions. But I don't understand why he had to start off the way he did.

Oh well, to each his own I guess.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Oh yeah! My band does about 10 corporate gigs a year and I love them paydays!! We're not in the 25K range but closer to the 3K-5K range. Still a good payday as the band is only 7 people!