1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Valenti -vs- Fender - mp3

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KayCee, Apr 30, 2006.

1. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    I've been messing around with recording these two basses for a couple of days for comparison, and thought that some here might be interested in hearing this clip.

Thanks to the magic of recording, I've got the silver Valenti PJ five string on the left side alernating licks with my Fender USA Deluxe P V on the right side. I've recorded them over a drum loop to give a better perspective of how they might sit in a mix.

Basically, there are four, four bar riffs. Low register, middle register, and high register fingerstyle. Then, there's a slap riff.

You've got to be careful with Fenders these days, but that doesn't mean that they don't make good ones. This one has an alder body and maple/maple neck. It is, IMO, their most underrated model.
    The Valenti uses the same woods and also uses D'Addario medium light strings.

The Valenti is panned somewhat to the rear pickup with no added eq. the Fender is also panned a little to the bridge pickup, but has the bass eq boosted a little. I didn't use an amplifier.

After all the talking we do about woods, finishes, pickups, and whatever, I always find it interesting to really hear these instruments.

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    These clips of yours are great :)

If you told me both sides were the same bass just played a bit differently I'd believe you.

3. I really dig your playing style.
    It kind of reminds me of myself, except its me when I have played for 10 years more...

The Valenti sounds more Clear

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice. You're not helping me out financially you know.

5. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    Thanks for doing this Kay! Makes me feel much more secure in my purchase of a Valenti :D

I MUCH prefer the sound of the Valenti to the Fender for the fingerstyle, but i do prefer the Fender slap sound a bit because it seems more open and "Pop"s a little better. The fender seems to lack the very presesnt lo-mids and lows that the Valenti has.

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    ...ESPECIALLY considering the Fender had a bit o' bass boost! :confused:

7. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    I neglected to even read that part lol :oops: With THAT in mind, i'm REALLY glad i bought the Valenti instead. :D Then again, i've always thought that modern fenders (never played a vintage) sounded a bit thin. ;)

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Does the Fender sound fuller with the neck pickup soloed? It seems to be seriously lacking in bottom.

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I prefer the Fender on the upper register and slap riffs, but the Valenti definitely has better lower register and mids.

BTW, your playing sounds really good!

10. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Thanks! Great clip. Both basses sound great. I like the Fender slightly more, I can't exactly explain why. It just sounds a little "smoother."

Which pickups do you have on the Valenti?

11. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Cool! Well done.

12. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Interesting responses so far. Thanks for the kind words!

Sure, both of the basses sound fuller towards the neck pickup, but for this kind of articulation I always lean to the bridge. Then, I'll add some low end where needed.

I'm sort of a snob about eq...I don't like to use it any more than I have to. Of course much of the tone is in the fingers, but after that I consider my pan control to be next in line for tone shaping.
    That said, I could have boosted more lows in the Fender, but I wanted to hear the instruments in their natural voice as much as possible.

The Valenti pickups are Norstrands. The front is the NP5, the bridge is a FS. The preamp is an Aguilar OBP-3.

My computer setup is in a boomy room, so it was hard for me to compare the low ends of the basses. The basses sounded much better through headphones than through my speakers.

I've done many commercial recording projects with the Fender with great results. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether the Valenti is better in some ways that I might use in the future.

I appreciate the input.

Andy
    (KayCee)

13. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i really like the sound of the Valenti. it sounds so much fuller than the Fender. i can't really decide which slap tone i like better, though...

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Listening more, I really like them both, a LOT. I love the definition and the clarity of the Valenti but the Fender seems a bit smoother. I can see myself owning both.

15. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    If you have the time, can you compare the B strings of both basses? That'd be interesting as well.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice playing, I like the Valentis fingerstyle tone better, for sure. Slap wise, neither really gets a tone I like. Slapwise, its hard to pick a favorite.

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hey man great playing. Your time is excellent!

And both basses are great. The Valenti is preferred in the groove sections.

The Fender is nice in the higher registers.

Favorite? Valenti... with the P close behind.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice. Umm, do you have anymore clips that I can listen to? This one's on about it's 30th loop and I love it!

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Wow, they sound almost the same.

20. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I can't tell the difference between the two - I mean, like timeingwise. Helluva good job keeping on time...:p

both sound awesome...