Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Variax Bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    Still nothing about Variax Bass?

2. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I've heard nothing. The place to help you keep track is www.line6.com.
    Would you be interested in one? Why or why not?

3. Mushroom

Mushroom

Oct 16, 2004
    Actually a release was posted to the public today..
    Yahoo Story
    This is a pic from PMTonline.co.uk that purports to show .
    it

Mind you it is described as a 700 in the story and shown in what is obviously a 500 style.

Either way, when it hits the street it's mine.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I played one briefly at the New York Bass Player Live show this weekend.
    The instrument they had wasn't quite 100% working yet, not all sounds were loaded yet.
    But the one I played had Precision, Jazz, Stingray and Alembic sounds. The Precision and Jazz had both roundwound and flatwound sounds available.
    Was hard to hear competely clearly with every other loud booth nearly, but it sounded pretty convincing.

5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/index.asp

There is a pic on this page if your scroll down.
    My comments:

Darn, only 4 strings! :confused:
    Gosh, it's ugly! :scowl:
    Heck, nowhere to rest your thumb! :(

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    That looks strangely like a guitar bridge...

Ick.

7. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Yes. I'd like to check out a Variax bass, but preferably one that isn't photoshopped. The one pictured does have a guitar six-string bridge.

8. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I found this:
    Press Release Source: Line 6

Line 6 Unveils World's First Modeling Bass, Variax Bass 700
    Saturday October 16, 2:59 pm ET
    -- Instant Access to 24 In-Demand Bass Sounds Ranging From Vintage and Modern Instrument Models to Acoustic Upright and Synth --

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Oct. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- Line 6 announced today the launch of Variax Bass 700, a high-quality bass instrument addition to the Variax family of guitars. Variax Bass 700 is the first bass that accurately models vintage and modern electric basses, an acoustic upright, plus synth bass tones. Variax Bass 700 is the instrument that is ready at a moment's notice for any live performance or recording situations.

Variax Bass 700 is a breakthrough product for any bassist, as it provides instant access to sounds never before available in a single instrument. Its simple, stand-alone operation offers 24 authentic bass sounds all in a single, professional grade instrument. Its output can be sent direct to any standard bass amplifier, mixing console, or recording device.
    "Variax Bass 700's simple layout combines the best of passive and active electronic controls in one practical, problem-solving, pro quality system," said Rich Lasner, director of instrument product lines, Line 6. "No other bass enables artists playing live or in the studio to instantly call up a modern 4-string, vintage 8-string, acoustic upright, fretless, or synth bass," explains Lasner.

Variax Bass 700 uses Line 6's patented guitar modeling technology to offer bassists instant access to models of a world-class collection of the greatest bass instruments and sounds in recorded history. Variax Bass 700 features an alder body, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard, and sealed chrome tuners. Custom-fitted gig bag and direct box with 1/4-inch and XLR outputs included. Available in black or sunburst finishes.

9. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Did it look like the one on the Photoshopped pictures linked to in this thread, or did they get smart and give it a more Fender based look?

They would have sold a lot more Variaxes if the were strat(ish) shaped.

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, the one I played was more traditional looking although not a Jazz shape from what I remember. It does look odd without a pickup there.

11. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Hopefully they'll have the option of a thumbrest. Is there a full list anywhere of the full list of basses that are "emulated"? So far it only seems like P, J, Alembic and Stingray. It would rule if it also had a super-J (Sadowsky style), Ricky, Warwick Thumb, 8- and 12-strings, EB-0 and upright.

Also, am I right in thinking the the Variax system (at least in the guitars) is basically a piezo bridge connected to some complex electronics internally, no wired frets or anything like that? If that was the case, I dare say the system could be transplanted into a nice custom bass body...

Russ :bassist:

12. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Great! I'm looking forward to checking one out. I'm especially curious about the quality of the upright sound(s). I hope they'll give that some extra attention, especially knowing that on the Variax guitars, the nylon string sounds are a tad behind in quality compared to the solid body models.

13. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Oh yeah, a 5-string would be nice as well... :)

Russ :bassist:

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    There were old school J and modern J sounds available, and an upright sound. The literature there said it had Rick emulation , but it wasn't loaded on the bass I used
    I believe that's the way it works. It's certainly intriguing, and on first pass sounded much better than I thought it would

15. i suspect your prolly right, it could be a piezo bridge or magentic-type based on the technology both yamaha and roland have for their Vbass pickups. Then the output is sent thru the modeling data similar to the Vbass.
    So it this variax bass is all that its claims I can get the whole vbass kit and kaboodle in a bass w/ no large bulky floor unit or Gk-2b ugly pickup. Can't wait to try it out
    frank

16. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Warmoth already has something like what you've been describing with the variax guitar kit.

17. Another bit of useful info, on the variaxe guitar the neck is a Fender fitting, so you could fit a strat neck to a variaxe guitar! if they follow the same idea you could fit a J neck? The bolt holes are the only difference, this is a good upgrade on the first guitars 'cos the necks were garbage!

Tony

18. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002

Line6 uses piezo, not magnetic pu's.
    So far Line6 haven't sold the electronics separately, you have to buy the whole instrument. Of course you can do whatever you want after that. Though Variax instruments will work on batterries, they do come with a small floor switch/power supply.

19. Ingemar

Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Sweden
    I heard (on another forum) that VariaxBass will be at sale in stores Dec.2004

20. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    i saw a picture of it.there is something about the headstock that i don't like. nice pickguard, though. :)