Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Varnish

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Jul 1, 2005.

1. I have a bass that there is no varnish at all on the back and on the sides. I like the sound of it pretty well now so I'm looking to put a very light layer of varnish on there just to protect it from the elements. I have been told a French polish might be the best bet. Any ideas? How long does something like that take and how involved is it? Not planing on doing it myself I'm just curious.

2. Brian (Duck) since it looks like you're not buying my wonderful little German flat-back, gimme a call. Bob Ross does the most wonderful French polish in the world. You're gonna probably need some color on that bass too.
    The Duck lives in my area and has hung out a bit at my house....I thought i'd just yank his chain a bit.

3. Yea it looks like I'm not gonna be able to buy your German bass, sorry. Economically it will be cheaper to fix this one I think. And you just made it a whole lot cheaper suggesting Bob! For some reason I didn't remember Bob did finish work. I had checked out some other shops that did and they will cost at least 2x more and 3x as long and not as nice as Bob's work. Thanks for savin my bacon Paul.