1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Velvet Anima vs EP Slaps

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by atlbassist1987, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Greetings to all! I have been using Velvet Animas for two years and they sound great on my bass. I'm going to keep them on for a little bit longer, maybe 3-6 more months.

I've put in an effort to read all of the threads about EP slaps and I have yet to find a direct comparison to Velvets. I'm inclined to stay with the Animas or try the Garbos, but I am very curious about a direct comparison between Velvet (Anima and Garbo) to the EP Slaps.

I play primarily jazz and gypsy jazz on the double bass. I would like to hear from fellow bassists about their experiences with these strings because the EPs have a great price point and people seem to love them.

Which string would you guys recommend? Which set is louder?

2. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    I've had Garbos and am currently playing EP slaps. Garbos are louder and have more presence, slower decay of the note. Slaps aren't as loud, have a softer feel, play easily, and decay quickly after the initial attack. Very gut like and working well with my bluegrass/Americana mix. I'm enjoying the Slaps, but miss the big sound of the Garbos. Seems like everything's a trade off.

tonequixote, d.Fly and HateyMcAmp like this.
  3. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd say while both are warm and low tension strings, the Slaps are very dark and doesn't really come close to the acoustic output of the Animas. They give kind of a blunt, percussive pizz sound that I think sits great in the jazz mix. The Animas are a bit more versatile and articulate, IMO. If you give the Slaps a try, I'd say go for the gut G with the synthetic E-D. While I thought the synthetic G played great, I wasn't a huge fan of its sound or presence going up the neck. The gut G also seemed to open up the set a little volume-wise.

4. d.Fly

d.Fly Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2002
    PACIFIC PALISADES, CA
    I have used both. Both are fun and provide gut like tone. The slaps feel great and if you raise the action/bridge they get loud. The Animas are louder & brighter but I don't like the rough feel of the round wound type string. Either can be bowed. Slaps have a shorter decay and sound best on my bass with the longer string length. Using the Slaps now... with the gut G.

Reiska and HateyMcAmp like this.
  5. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Mr. McAmp's assessment of the G string is perfect, and I'm happier with the gut G as well. It may not be anyone else's experience, but the Slaps sound much better on my plywood Epi than they did on my hybrid Upton. I wonder if the low tension wasn't enough to excite the greater mass of the (standard, not deluxe) carved top. That said, I sold my extra set to a guy with a hybrid Shen, and he says they're nearly as loud as his previous Spiro Weichs, so it might be particular to my bass.

bskts247 likes this.
  6. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Misterbadger I didn't recognize you with your new photo!

misterbadger likes this.
  7. Thank you for all of the replies! The bass I use is a hybrid that has been in an accident removing the scroll from the bass. The animas are very loud on my bass and I am considering garbos and EP slaps. I have a plywood with spiro starks for arco, so all of these string options are great. 2016 is a good year for bass strings!

8. Reiska

Reiska Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    IME EP slaps and EP`s in general provide great amounts of low end when compared to any other pizz-able string besides gut. Animas and Garbos IME and on my bass ( carved Jay Haide l`ancienne ) both sound more string-y than any of EP`s. I used Garbos with gut uppers and liked that setup a lot before going fifths tuning for a short perioid of time ( I`ve messed with fifths before and wanted to try it in a improvisational collective I`ve attended since autumn ). Now I have EP weichs on E and A, EP slap D and plain gut G on. I`m waiting for a EP slap A to hopefully arrive tomorrow. I don`t slap yet, but would love to learn it. When that happens I`ll propably go full EP slaps with gut G. Anyhow, I love the low end I get with the smooth and relaxed feel, incredible playability all over the fingerboard, and the gut G wakes all the gut-like qualities beautifully, blends really well both sound and feel-wise. However, all of these Animas, Garbos and EP slaps are great choices for those who love old-school vibe on their basses, and all of them blend really well with plain gut. IME Animas and Garbos do bow, but EP`s bow like a dream.

Edit: When set up high enough ( G at 8mm-ish on my 42" scale ) especially Garbos are crazy loud ( I had mine with Anima G at some point ). With gut uppers I had strings @10-13mm and that was very loud. With EP slap EAD/ gut G I might go G @9-ish mm`s, but with EP weich E I rather not. I have the weich EA slap D gut G set @7,5 - 10,5mm, and that`s as low as I go, plain gut G looses the power if I go any lower.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    threetone likes this.