1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Versatile 6 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaruquin, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Sep 8, 2012
    I've been shopping around for a 6 string but all the major online sites seem to lack inventory. Its either Ibanez, ESP, or Schector. I'm looking for a 6 string that's got a versatile sound (I play in a cover band for my main gig). I like to play funky with a little bit if jazzy but also like to rock it out. Any suggestions?

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    What's your budget?
    For sheer versatility, The Music Man Bongo 6 is hard to beat. It's looks are very non-traditional though, so you'll have to decide if you like that.

3. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Sep 8, 2012
    Sorry I should have mentioned my budget. I'm thinking around $800 range. Money is tight, I have Schector Stiletto Studio 5 at the moment. Thinking of selling it or trading it in.

4. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
  5. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    See if you can find a Spector Legend Classic 6. They are just over your budget new, but a used one should be well below.

6. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    +1

7. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    a used FBASS...or save up for a bit...you wont be disappointed!

8. Catbuster

Catbuster Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Louisville, KY.
    YES! Or an Ibanez SR506. I owned one for a while while I was into the whole prog metal thing, and it was brilliant. I wish I still had it for when I play jazz, or metal. It plays uber nice too. I'm usually not a tiny neck guy, but that was one of the best 6 strings I've ever played. And it's about $700 new.

9. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Schecter Stiletto Custom 6 = $600 ;)

Nice bass for a lot of styles.

11. Look for a used Carvin, Spector Legend, or Ibanez SR506. With the Spector or Ibby, it should be leaving you with about 200 dollars, which you could put into new strings, a case, new electronics, or whatever you feel like. All instruments are wonderful values. I personally own a Spector Legend 6 and it's my main bass. Stock electronics are usable, but switching the preamp for say, an OPB-3 or a EMG BQC can do wonders.

12. I use an ESP/LTD sixer. The B206sm to be precise. My budget was $900 when I went shopping and it felt better to me than any of the others I tried, including MTD, Spector, Ibanez, and Warwick. It did need new electronics, but I most likely would have done that with any one of those basses as EMG DCs & BQC Pre always seem to be the sound I'm after. So, with those upgrades, I was still well under budget...

13. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    Ibanez 6's are the best mid-priced 6's in my opinion...

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Where are you OP? That would really help us narrow it down.

This doesn't seem to have sold. It is a great bass! Carvin build quality is great.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/6-string-carvin-icon-bass-1019054/

Here's another one that recently sold for a great price.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/f-s-only-carvin-lb76pf-ohsc-$750-1009574/

Used Carvin is where I would look. More bass than you will EVER find for that kind of cash.

15. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    +1. Used Carvins can be a real bargin

16. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    That's a sweet bass! My Icon 6 is one of my go-to basses!

17. Hobobob

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    I've found Carvin's soapbar pups to be a little lifeless, but their radiused humbuckers are sweet. And if you want to go with a different brand, Carvin soaps are the same size as the Bart and Nordstrand soaps.

18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Try one with the J99 pickups. All the life you can stand. They sound great in either passive or active.