1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

very best microphones for live use

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by LukeS, Jan 9, 2012.

1. LukeS

LukeS

Sep 10, 2009
    New York, NY
    I've been sifting through forums quite a while, and I think it would be beneficial to have a thread where experienced microphone users list their favorite choices. Maybe top 3 or something like that.

I want to get rid of my pickups/amps and go with a mic, either into a PA, (like a Mackie, with a pre-amp) or an Acoustic Image with built in pre-amp. I'm willing to spend fair money, as long as I can get a really good sound that is workable in a live context.

Could those who have had success in this regard list their top microphone choices? I want to get a good idea of 2 or 3 great mics which I can then rent/borrow to see which works best with my instrument.

Many thanks, and sorry if this post is somewhat redundant, I hope it is beneficial to everyone to have a discussion limited to this topic.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Larry Grenadier uses a Schoeps CMC6 with a supercardiod capsule and the aptly named FMR Audio "Really Nice Preamp" if you are flush with cash this is a incredible system into a Mackie 450 powered speaker. He mounts the microphone, with an Explore Audio Clamp for bass. This rig is very expensive.

Personally, I use a DPA 4099B into the mains. They have excellent isolation and a wonderful timbre, easy to get on and off the bass.

For most gigs however, I use an Ehrlund Linear Microphone Pickup and Pre amp. On my bass, it sounds just like using a mike with better feedback resistance. Personally, IMHO, with my bass and amps it's better than the DPA.

Ric

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I like my Sennheisser MD-409U, stuffed up between the bridge feet with foam...

4. LukeS

LukeS

Sep 10, 2009
    New York, NY
    Does anybody use the RE-20?

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The RE-20 works well.

I use either a SM-58 shoved between the bridge feet or I have a AT-PRO35.

6. I'm trying to figure it out as well....

Been using a mic (only) for about 4 years now... but I go straight to amp that i stand in front of. I do have to get pretty loud at times.......

IMOP - The expensive condenser clip-ons are too hot (for the way I use them anyway) and pick up everything. Sometimes I can hear the bartender mixing drinks through these things.....feedback is very hard to control and you get the crazy exaggerated highs (sizzle) that condensers produce. On the other hand- your average everyday dynamic mics are too large to clip on the bass. This has led me to try alternative type mics......

Currently I like this cheap low tech radio shack mic...its really small and has a built in power supply.

Hands-Free Tie-Clip Omnidirectional Electret : Microphones | RadioShack.com

Also, after a discussion with the maker, I have this one on its way to try out....

Shaker Dynamic Harmonica Microphone: Shop Pro Audio & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend

Looks like I'll have to check out Ed's mic too........

7. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    There are a few versions of the 4099 out there, none of which I've ever used, so if someone could answer this one for me: Are the various designations like 4099-B and 4099-G just mounting differences but the same mic, or is there more than one mic?

I ask because we do a lot of different things in our house, and it could be cool to have a single mic solution that would, e.g., work for the trumpet, the guitar, and the bass.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

8. stefaniw80401

stefaniw80401 Supporting Member

May 18, 2004
    Evergreen, Colorado
    So how well does the Radidio Shaft lav mic work for bass? There are no Hz specs on their site. And please tell us how the shaker harp mic works out.

9. it's all the same mic, only the mounting changes. that said, there are differences in the adaptors, with the basic module having a bass roll-off, the bass one, which is flat, and the trumpet one, which i believe is simply padded. i'd have a conversation with the good folks at dpa.

jeff.

10. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I sent them an email yesterday. Even after looking at their site, I couldn't figure out what combination of part numbers I'd need.

-S-