1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VERY Interesting article on the Guitar's Demise.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StevieM, Jun 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. StevieM

StevieM

May 10, 2016
    Logan, WV
    Nunovsky and Son of Wobble like this.
  2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not in my world.

3. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    I've read articles more or less like this since about 1978. Did anyone see any numbers in this about how many guitars were sold industrywide last year?

Btw, you should read the doomsayers over in the acoustic forums. According to them, acoustics would have been dead 60 years ago except for the Kingston Trio and MTV Unplugged.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Slinger, fretter, Double E and 5 others like this.
  4. None of all our relatives kids play a guitar or are even interested. A couple like to mess around on my bass though.

One plays a ukelele once in awhile. That's it.

So GC and Fender are deep in red ink? And Gibson makes more than Fender?

joebar and Nunovsky like this.
  5. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Very interesting article and very illuminating to learn that Fender's CEO considers Taylor Swift the most influencial guitarist in years in terms of inspiring both new players and sales.

monsterthompson likes this.
  6. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    gebass6, GregC, SBMM and 2 others like this.
  7. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Recently visited an accordion shop. Apparently guitar sales killed off the industry with the advent of rock.

8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I rather doubt the hidden graph refutes the article's assertion that the market is contracting (" In the past decade, electric guitar sales have plummeted, from about 1.5 million sold annually to just over 1 million. The two biggest companies, Gibson and Fender, are in debt, and a third, PRS Guitars, had to cut staff and expand production of cheaper guitars. In April, Moody’s downgraded Guitar Center, the largest chain retailer, as it faces $1.6 billion in debt. And at Sweetwater.com, the online retailer, a brand-new, interest-free Fender can be had for as little as $8 a month.")

The article's portrait of aging boomers consolidating their guitar collections instead of expanding them jibes perfectly with the pervasive sentiment at TB and also accounts for the stagnant used market.

And with no new guitar heroes save Taylor Swift, the article posits, new players/consumers are not emerging to fill the gap.

9. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I was born in 1963 and had accordion lessons. It was indeed a thing. My slightly older friends were more serious players in their day.

Middle class homes all used to have pianos as well.

10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I think we're seeing that MTV was both the boon and bane of guitar, and that the 60's/70's were an anomaly in music history. Part of the problem is short attention spans. Another is the education system. And finally, I can blame those pesky carrots as their orange influence on the world...

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have to grade papers. I will read that article later this morning.

bassestkkm, Pbassmanca and rodv66 like this.
  12. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Often pop culture articles are for sales and marketing. Their goal is to have a psychological impact on the masses. Electric guitar may not be popular in USA pop music. But, it's still a vital part of live music entertainment throughout the world and in local clubs and bars. And, electric guitar will always be popular as long as there are people who get a taste of the guitar bug and have been exposed to old rock and blues tunes. It never ceases to amaze me, that there are teenage guitar players playing classic rock and blues tunes. Music that's over 50 years old.

13. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I was born in '61. No accordion in our house but I did play one at a friend's house at some point. We did have a piano though, and my first piano teacher (age 8) was an old jazz trumpeter who of course played piano. He'd taught my older brother (13 years older than me), and even my mom. Sadly he passed away about 9 months into my study. He had me doing boogie woogie and stride pretty quickly. I posit that had he not died I likely would have ended up a more serious piano player rather than the relative hack I am today.

We have a piano in the house, and my son was forced to study an instrument until he graduated high school. He could pick whatever he wanted, but the rule was he had to do something other than play computer games. He'll thank me for it later.

stylish dresser

14. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    I saw this earler and think it overstates things. Decline, yes; death, no.

gebass6, equill and Garret Graves like this.
  15. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    BS article, hype.

Guitars are cheaper than ever and people only want a strat and/or a Les Paul, which can be had at any price point. So, how do businesses invest in a product that anybody can make and keeps depreciating while the customer gets poorer? No amount of guitar gods can do anything about it because modern factories can crank out all the supply demanded for cheap thereby flooding the market even more and, every year, fewer people can afford the top tier stuff.

16. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    According to the article, acoustics are now outselling electrics. So your contention that people only want Strats and Teles is no longer true, statistically speaking. The average guitar player today is female and wants an acoustic. So there is an apparent sea-change regardless of the article's hype.

tlite and BboogieXVII like this.
  17. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Is that your son in the video? If so, kudos for the playing AND his excellent taste in video games - I doubt anyone in the audience knows where that's from, or even heard it before.

RaggaDruida likes this.
  18. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    The name of the article is "The Slow Death of The Electric Guitar"...............

gebass6, RaggaDruida and Aqualung60 like this.
  19. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    So are people not buying as many guitars as a decade ago, or are they just not buying as many NEW guitars? A guitar doesn't wear out like a car or a cell phone does so the used market is huge.