Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Very Strange Buzz Problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    When playing a D# on the G-String (8th fret), I get a buzz ONLY if I fret a B on the E-string (7th fret) at the same time. If I take my finger off the E-string, the buzz stops. If I move my finger to a different note on the E-string, the buzz stops. It's only when that particular note on the E-string is fingered or plucked with the D#.

What gives? BTW - this is as perfect a setup as you can get. The neck is perfectly straight.

Thanks,
    -AJ

2. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Must be Monday... it's actually the E string buzzing. However, it only buzzes when a fret a note on the G-string. I need to lower the action a little bit anyway and see what happens.

3. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    New Sad

You are half correct. I am getting the buzz on the double-stop on the E-string. It can be the D# or any note anywhere near the D# on the G-string. As far as the action, it was factory standard (4~5mm). I actually lowered the action and the buzz diminished. I did not adjust the relief.

4. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Looks like loosening the truss did the trick... man I love this bass! Thanks for the suggestions.

5. My Spector with the heat building here in phoenix has been geting progressivily worse and I finally took it to my tech here. Put new strings on and had great action on the E, A, D but the G string alway's buzzed (1st or 2nd frett) I tried to set the neck but when getting great action on the E, A, D,... the G alway'sfretted out on the first frett. When I got this bass new a year ago it play'd like butter and my setup guy say's its an easy fix. (I know.......I tried to do it myself but I couldn't figure out the problem with one string and frett buzzing)..........
    Anyway my point is....... be carefull with just adjusting the neck, there may be more to getting your bass to feel the way you want it too, not to mention adjusting the bridge or saddle and the intonation.............I am no expert and just passing on some info to maybe help in the long run....(Hell, thats why its in the shop)