Very strange problem. Any comments, ideas or jokes appreciated...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I purchased a new audio interface and then decided to go back to my original - a Line 6 Keyport. I didn't disconnect the first interface until it was all running smoothly, and then when I did (disconnected the usb) I got that popping sound you get like when you plug an instrument into an amp. But it kept repeating, as though on permanent 3 second delay. Pop... pop... pop... pop...

I restarted the computer, updated drives, checked every cable, turned the monitors on and off, lowered all sound system volumes, closed all programs... and then found a fix.

----If I unplug BOTH line outs on the interface (what the monitors are connected to) and then plug them back in, it stops. Taking them out one at a time has no effect. The pop keeps happening.

That's the only thing that stops it.

Now its happening every time my computer goes out of sleep mode. I get that popping sound of the monitors kicking in, and it goes non stop until I disconnect and then reconnect the line outs.

Help????

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    :eek:

Joe Nerve, rtav and instrumentalist like this.
  3. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    OS?

Joe Nerve likes this.
  4. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Is that Windows OS? I have no experience with MacOS, so I will presume it's Win.
    Guessing wildly here, but changing behaviour when unplugging line out could mean that some background software is watching for changes. Does this happen when you start your audio software, or when no software is running, or both? Do you have some icon in your systray?

Joe Nerve likes this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Windows.

It happens with nothing running. I have to check my startup program. I haven't tried that yet. At work now, so I'll look into it later.

Thanks.

RattleSnack likes this.
  6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Does the looped sound mean that your system freezes, does it still work but all you can hear is the looped sound or does sound work as expected, it's just that looped plop on top of everything else ?

Joe Nerve likes this.
  7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Nothing freezes but when I play mp3s (I use Transpose as a player) they hiccup and jump along with the pops. Its pretty bizarre.

8. Hey Joe, if it's a laptop then my shot in the dark is to start troubleshooting by muting the computer microphone (check mic using the sound mixer - muting it is not specially intuitive in Win 10).
    Good luck!

Joe Nerve, ceetee and MonetBass like this.
  9. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    That’s the price you pay for listening to pop music.

Joe Nerve, rtav, Spidey2112 and 12 others like this.
  10. jtemple

jtemple

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington, MO
    Hmmm...maybe uninstall/reinstall any drivers that may have been added for the interface?

Joe Nerve, rtav, Spidey2112 and 4 others like this.
  11. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    Sorry Joe. Over my pay grade...

Joe Nerve and MaxSpinrun like this.
  12. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    There might be nothing with a user interface running, but there will still be a device driver and potentially other background processes involved. The three second interval implies to me that there's something that's trying to do something and will continue trying every three seconds until it succeeds.

What happens if you reboot with only one of the two interfaces plugged in?

Joe Nerve and ceetee like this.
  13. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This. Sounds to me like you have an audio output/input loop happening.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  14. Cave Puppy

Cave Puppy "Humph Bo, he's wond!" - John Lennon

Jan 13, 2015
    creamyj.bandcamp.com
    Not what you wanted to hear but this is precisely why I got a Mac. I got so frustrated trying to make music on a pc. I also had a Keyport at one time. It eventually started to get weird on me so I stopped using it.

Joe Nerve, DirtDog and ctmullins like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You bwoke it bwoe.
    Elmer.gif

Joe Nerve and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    Joe Nerve likes this.
  17. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    That's the awesomeness of Line 6 and their ability to write software for their products.
    I love my Variax's but getting the software side of them setup can be a pita at times.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  18. RJC1811

RJC1811

Nov 19, 2008
    Canandaigua, NY
    I would build a rhythm track around it and keep adding layers. It will become the soundtrack of your life!you could record it on your phone and take it everywhere. Before people even see you they would say”Here comes Joe!”.

19. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Tejas
    I would have suggested bus speed on that USB port (also if too many devices are plugged in on that same block) or perhaps the cable being used as the culprit, but if just unhooking two analog-connected speakers and reconnecting does the trick, that seems much more complex.

Maybe clean the contacts on the line out ports? That or perhaps it's a problem with the DAC or whatever circuitry switches output from one to another when something is plugged in. I have to admit, I gave up on my UX2 around Windows 10 as I had similar issues that never got resolved. Mine showed up in recordings and the headphone output too though.

Joe Nerve likes this.
  20. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Hey Joe Bad check for bad usb port or cable? Try swapping usb ports? Then I would try to re-install drivers after uninstalling the previous drivers, if that doesn't work I would un-install any software associated with the new hardware.

Remove the old software then re-install the new, sounds like a software conflict it's mouthful I know but it already dosen't work so...

Joe Nerve likes this.