1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

very stupid simple question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by tbird99, Jul 12, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    I have never recorded I usually just jam in my shed with some buddies but okay so how and what do I need two record , also this may sound pathetic and cheap but would I atleast be able to hear my bass when I practiced if I just used my cell recorder

2. Inverse Kinetix

Inverse Kinetix

Jul 12, 2012
    I'm sure you would be able to.

I recently recorded me striking a giant Japanese bell, about 3 metres across, the frequencies were amazing! When I played the video back on my phone, you couldn't hear it at all, however, when I played the file back on my pc, through good speakers, it sounded great.

TL;dr yes, it should work, but it might sound bad (or not at all) played back on the phone speaker.

3. BKuettel

BKuettel

Apr 8, 2011
    Oneonta, NY
    There are many ways to record. Although the common methods are micing your amp or to use a DI from your amp or other pedal.To record you need a few things,

-An instrument you want to record

-A computer

-Some sort of recording software

-A mixing board/interface

-A good mic and cable to hook to interface

-Patience

As far as specific items go I cannot tell you, but thats the jist of it. Research some mixing consoles, mics, and recording software to get an idea what is good and what isnt based on customer ratings.

I know this isnt much help, but hopefully it pointed you in the right direction. Good luck!

4. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    Well, in my first band we used a small taperecorder with a microphone in the middle of our rehearsing space; it actually got the job done rather nicely...

5. Inverse Kinetix

Inverse Kinetix

Jul 12, 2012
    If you did want to record yourself only, directly into a computer, you could simply get an adapter for the end of your guitar cable and plug the bass directly into the mic socket on your computer.

If you turn the mic boost (gain) up to 10db you should get a decent recording, you will probably get some hissing but that can be eq'd out easily with a three band eq.

6. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

Nov 11, 2011
    Plano, TX
    I've recorded over 500 videos with my band mates using just a phone. Sounds decent enough once its on the computer.

I just picked up an interface from musicians friend that came with recording software. Cubase I believe.also got some drum mics which can be used to record your instuments from the amp.