Vibrating Tailpiece

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by noidea, Apr 3, 2005.

1. noidea

Apr 3, 2005
    My wife plays bass and recently got a new bass. After setting up the bridge all seemed fine for a week or so then the tailpiece started vibrating when the strings are plucked.

Is the tailpiece supposed to be in contact with the saddle or should only the tail cords be touching the saddle.

Any ideas welcome as we really don't know anything about how to set up a bass.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The tailpieice itself should not touch the saddle. It sounds like you have the tail cord a little short.
  3. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Technically speaking, the tailpiece is supposed to vibrate while you pluck/bow the strings. However, the tailpiece should not be touching the saddle; just the tailwire or "tail cords". Are you getting a buzzing sound while playing?
  4. My wife never complains when her tailpiece vibrates.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  5. noidea

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks for the responses. Suspect the tailpiece was set up hard against the saddle and with tension from the strings the cord has stretched slightly moving the tailpiece enough to let it vibrate against the saddle - hence the buzzing sound, which goes away if I simply touch the tailpiece. Will lengthen the cord to clear the saddle alltogether and try again. Will let you know the outcome. :)

iPLAY15151515 - hpw sad :oops:
  6. noidea

Apr 3, 2005
    Just to say thanks - lengtnehning the tail cord a little has stopped the buzzing. Now I can get back to watching the golf while my wife plays the bass.
    Cheers :)