1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

viewer warning: tasteful nude outdoor photos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nutdog, Sep 17, 2010.

1. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Found this on craigslist. Won't say what I paid but roughly the cost of a new MIM jazz. This one came with a Fender molded case, a 1x15 100 watt combo amp, cord and strap. It's 10 years old but I don't think it's been played much at all. No scratches, dings, nicks or blemishes of any kind. Strings seem new but slightly broken in. I didn't really need/want the combo but I would have paid the same without it and still thought it was a good deal.

The reason I'm posting, other than out of pure joy, is to say thanks for all the info I was able to gather on this site to help verify it wasn't some sort of fake/scam. If it is a scam, someone went to an awful lot of trouble and expense to make a fine fake USA Fender Jazz. But I didn't have the knowledge and experience to make that determination without the vast amount of information that is so willingly shared on this forum.

Got to play it Wednesday night with the church band and it was better than I expected. I bought it because it was gorgeous, the price was right and I always wanted a natural MIA Fender. Until recently I went over 20 years on two basses. I was (and still am) happy with my P lyte sound but didn't like the look. This is definitely the look I wanted. What surprised me was the sustain. When we got to parts where the instruments fade out and I normally let the note fade, it wouldn't. Had to mute it.

To me, this is what it's all about. Functional, simple, understated elegance.

And without further ado...

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2303.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow! I'm not usually one for natural finished basses, but THAT'S how you do it!

Nice!

3. Congratulations.

4. I want your hot grain.

5. shadow_FIX

shadow_FIX

Feb 23, 2010
    ^+1 that bass is hot!

6. Nice wood.
    I bet it would look even cooler with a black pickguard!

7. That is flat gorgeous!

8. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    + infinity

9. +10000000000 on the black PG

10. The carpet matches the drapes.

11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Very sweet piece of ash on that body.

Now it just needs a black guard. :bassist:

12. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Beautiful grain. Always loved a natural finish in a J. Awesome bass

13. looks real to me
    does it have the heavier fender tuners?
    the gear should be exposed with a heavy half moon enclosure that holds the tuning machine in place

awesome deal and I vote for a tort pickguard

14. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    That was my thought exactly. But the white is growing on me. It's all original and I can't bring myself to start diddling with it yet.

That was one of the things I learned to look for on this site (see attachment). The thing that threw me a little was the bridge. But it was so nice I got it anyway. I got home and did some research and I believe it is a Deluxe Jazz bridge from that year.

Attached Files:

15. +1 for a black pick guard

That is absolutely fantastic grain characteristics. A pat on the back should go to the guy at Fender, that picked out that piece of wood...

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Normally i'd agree. But IMHO, that bass is perfect just the way it is. Congrats:bassist:

17. Gorgeous bass. Good for you!

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Tortise Shell

19. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Definitely tort. +1.

20. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Dude, this thread needs a "NSFW" tag.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021