Vintage amps just sound better

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by St_G, Mar 6, 2018.

1. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    And top google result says "vintage" is anything 20+ years old. Sooo......looks like this bad boy is SIXTEEN VINTAGE AMPS now! Or, like 14 vintage amps, a vintage tube preamp and a vintage fuzz box.

Ooh, but some of those models were themselves based on vintage amps. So now that the models are vintage, it's...DOUBLE VINTAGE. That's gotta be like +4 Tone, at least.

pod.jpg

2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    In was just thinking about these.
    Are the programs dated compared to the new modeling gear?

3. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Honestly? No idea. I haven't played a Pod in years. I had a Pocket Pod a while back, as a little travel toy. Was never very impressed by it. Not sure if the models therein were the same as either a) the old fullsize one or b) the newer full size ones or c) neither.

I don't think I've played a real, full fat Pod since the Pod 2.0 somewhere around 2003.

4. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    On my phone. So I read the title, then the text... then I scrolled down. Truly lol.

On a personal note, I borrowed a buddy’s kidney bean about 12 years ago. Stunned by how crappy it was. I can’t imagine how I’d feel about it today.

tonym, SwitchGear, Kro and 2 others like this.
  5. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I will say that I always liked the GearBox software that came with the TonePort/PodStudio interfaces. Got some very good results out of that over the years. Now, for all I know, those models are EXACTLY the same as what's in the Pod, and I'm just full of crap, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MYLOWFREQ likes this.
  6. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I mean have you seen what people will pay for first generation Boss digital effects pedals? I don't think Line 6 will have that kind of demand, but you never know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MobileHolmes likes this.
  7. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I've ceased being amazed or dismayed at what old crap people will decide is awesome.

8. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Do vintage amps and effects all have a bunch of latency and background hiss on certain settings too?

9. petrus61

I haven’t, because whenever I tried to sell one I wound up pretty much having to give it away. Guess I was late to the party.

St_G likes this.
  10. petrus61

Juxtapose that with how young people typically aren’t amazed or dismayed by what old people say. If these toys really are fetching high numbers, it’s probably not by folks that drove the market in the first place.

11. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I guess that particular bubble passed me by as well.

Sixgunn likes this.
  12. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Sure. It's harder to see the mystique in something you didn't like the first time around.

Of course, if you DID like it, then... Well, nostalgia is a Hell of a salesman.

13. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Ive got both a guitar pod and a bass pod. At one time I had a run on fixing these in my shop and ended up picking up one of each to do some recording with and they're not bad for that. I havent tried using one live or even at practice yet, but I might as well since I do have them.

St_G likes this.
  14. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I lol'd. Nice work. :laugh:

15. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I have the generation just after that one. My son uses it more than I do. I did try it on bass a couple of months ago. Could not find anything I liked.

TonyP- likes this.
  16. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    So... A 1982 model Fender 62 Reissue Jazz Bass is more vintage (double vintage) than an original Fender 62 Jazz Bass? I like your pod, but I'm more interested in the pot you got ;)

Ronnie Nine, mesaplayer83 and St_G like this.
  17. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    You got it.

Also, you got me thinking... Didn't relic'ing start in the late 90s or early 00s? What if it were a reissue that was relic'ed, and that was now 20 years old? Triple Vintage?

MobileHolmes, MattZilla and MYLOWFREQ like this.
  18. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, recording was my only interest in them. They (and I'm painting with a broad brush here that includes all manner of Line 6 offerings) tended to err on the side of sounding like a recording of a guitar amp rather than what an amp sounds like in the room, which I found dead useful in a home studio setting, but slightly off-putting in a band context.

Jim C likes this.
  19. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Wow, that must be a really good one! (And I'm not talking about the instrument).

20. I have a bass pod pro (rackmount) and used to use it playing live. It sounds pretty good, but I found it was a lot of work to get the different patches to have a consistent volume. I still use it for recording.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021