1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage for cheap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by btozzi, Jan 13, 2012.

1. btozzi

btozzi

Jan 13, 2012
    Hey guys, I'm looking to get an old bass (maybe teisco), or anything cool really. I'm looking to get that punchy sound that you hear from those old Spagetti Westerns. I've been really digging Danger Mouse's Rome album lately and I want to incorporate a little of that flavor to my band The Takes. Any suggestions for cheap vintage basses? I'm on a budget but I really want that sound/ look. My Fender Jazz just isn't cutting it. I appreciate the help.
    -Cheers!

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Tone is where you find it!

You can't just go looking for a certain brand/model vintage bass and expect to find one (unless you hit collector circles and pay a fortune). What you need to do it start hitting pawn shops, garage sales, music stores, CL, Ebay, etc. just keep your eyes open and hopefully find an old bass in a place where you get to try it before you buy it. If it has the sound you think you can use, you buy it. Simple. Doesn't matter what it is. Boomie's Radio Shack bass is the perfect example of this.

Tone is where you find it.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Lots of Peavey T-20s and T-40s out there.

4. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    Fender Musicmasters? They come for about 400 bucks sometimes.

5. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    The bass parts on Rome were done on a Fender Bass VI, and played with a pick. That instrument was a big part of that spaghetti western sound that inspired the Rome record, and in a number of articles that were written about that album the Bass VI was specifically cited as being crucial to that sound.

The unfortunate thing is that Bass VI's don't come cheap. Even some of the Fender reissues from the 90's/2000's are fetching crazy high prices. There are some manufacturers who are offering some similar instruments. The Schecter Hellcat comes to mind.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    That's what I was going to say...love em'

7. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you're in Houston you should check out Rockin Robin Guitars, they have a ginormous selection of cheap vintage instruments. They also ship :D

8. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Checked out Rockin robin. Decent selection, but typical inflated retail prices, IMO. Didn't see a ginormous selection of cheap anything.

9. Danelectro

10. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Their site doesn't put their entire inventory online. They're also one of those places where haggling is encouraged.

11. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    I love my Teisco EB-200 shortscale, flatwounds and original foam mute still in place I call the P-bass killer.

12. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  13. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Respected tone and function.

1977-87 mfgr dates.

Notoriously underpriced.

Pretty smart choice for "Vintage for Cheap"