1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Ric Rescue (Jetglo)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Just grabbed this locally. She's been to hell and back, but I hope to have her in working order in a few weeks or so.... Yes, I also got the original case (also beat to hell). Oh, she was born in Sept of 78...

One more thing...according to the owner, the bass was owned by a couple of goth / death disco band bassists and this bass went on tour with those bands in the 90's...

First owner was Maitri of the band Christian Death

She then gave the bass to Arti of the band Apocalypse Theatre

Both are female bassists. I bought the bass from Arti.

Anyway, pics.... Progress pics will follow in weeks to come....

IMG_20180322_131839__01.jpg IMG_20180322_131843.jpg IMG_20180322_131858__01.jpg IMG_20180322_131855__01.jpg IMG_20180322_131912.jpg IMG_20180322_131902.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  2. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Definitely a player, but not a pretty one. The bass, that is.:)

3. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    That’s cool to know the history of the bass... so often it’s a complete mystery with a used instrument.

Def looks like it was used hard, but the bones are definitely there. Keep us posted with your progress!

Congrats!

4. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Cool that the maple is now visible through the finish!

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  5. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

very nice! looking forward in seeing the progress~!

6. Cool--hope you'll post the "after" photos.

Bob_Ross and Quadzilla like this.
  7. Quadzilla

I will! Thanks!

8. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Quadzilla, how far are you going in the restoration of the bass. There doesn't seem to be alot of finsh wear or dings. The finish is cloudly. The head stock look it needs some repair.

9. Quadzilla

As of right now, I'm going to have the headstock issues corrected. She also has the tell-tale fretboard separating from the neck by the headstock (due to improper truss rod adjustment). But I've dealt with that before and it's totally reversible/fixable...

Also will go thru the truss rods and electronics and clean her up. Oh, and get the correct knobs. Beyond that, not much.... I want her to maintain this "rode hard, put up wet" look. After all, she toured with two different punk / death-metal bands....

10. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Good luck, play it in good health. - they are fun basses....klangy nasty tone. You won't want to play it on a Motown gig for sure.

Quadzilla likes this.
  11. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Pretty is as pretty does.... Fix the mechanical problems, leave the cosmetics alone, and rock out!

12. Quadzilla

That's exactly the plan...

Gaolee and Michael Schreiber like this.
  13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I came in to plead for your exact plans. That is awesome. Never owned a Rick, still wanna some day.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. Quadzilla

IMG_20180322_191356__01.jpg

15. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Leave the knobs. Part of the mojo.

16. Quadzilla

Hmmmm, you have a point!

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  17. Those brass knobs add enough weight to feel the difference (yeah, I need to work out) - I have a drawer full of those knobs 'cause I always pull them off and put lighter weight knobs on.

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    That is an ax that has been there, done that and buried the bodies!
    Looking forward to seeing the refurb!

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  19. Good project.
    That Rick has character.

Mantis Tobaggan and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. mindwell

mindwell

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Some definite structural issues to contend with. Hopefully manageable. Because that bass is an absolute classic.

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021