Vintage Yamaha Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Jan 27, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Is there such a thing as a "Vintage" Yamaha Bass? Probably not but if there is, I just got one! :cool:

I was recently bitten by the "Yamaha Bug" after buying my BB415 a while ago. (TB'ers have all heard my spiel on this. Excellent bass, excellent construction, nothing flashy -- just a quality bass at an excellent price.)

I have been on the lookout for a plain-ole P-Bass for a while and in my searching, I came across this bass. The seller told me that he is the original owner, it had basically been put away in a closet for many years and that the bass had been bought in -- get this -- 1977!

He mentioned that he recently took it to his bass guy for a setup and was told that this was one of the most EXCELLENT examples of an older Yamaha bass he'd seen. And he was right -- it's in excellent condition -- especially for a bass that's so old.

The details: This is Yamaha's 1977 interpretation of the Precision Bass concept. Volume & tone control. Split pickups. Solid as a rock without being too heavy (about 9.4 lbs). Excellent neck/fretwork including MOP inlays. Beautiful finish and GREAT TONE. It sounds like a P-Bass is supposed to sound! (It even came with the original, clean as a whistle, hard-shell case.)

My next move is to remove the strings, give the neck a thorough cleaning/oiling, and re-string it with some TI flats. From there, I'll call it a day. She doesn't need anything else.

I'm not deluding myself into thinking that its going to drastically increase in value -- it was a mid-level bass when it was sold and unlike the BB3000's that came later, there really isn't a burgeoning market for these models.

On the other hand, this 1977 bass makes a perfect "bookend" to my 2005 BB415 - she looks great, sounds great, and plays great -- I am tickled to death to have her in the arsenal! :hyper:

2. Very sweet, saw that one for sale I think? What did you end up paying? I have two BB300 which are very similar but with out the upgrade bridge, pick guard and neck inlays., However I did hot rod both of mine, my first one I got now has a bad ass ll, SD 1/2lb pups, schaller tuners, and new electronics. It blows the doors of my 1980 MIA Fender P and most other MIA Ive played. The tone knocks my guitar player out!The second BB300 I bought I put parts off ebay on it wilkinson tuners, Mighty mite bridge, and SD performer pups. This bass blows me away as well and I did it all for $200, thats including the bass! The MIM Fender stuff doesnt even compare.
    My next bass I want is a BB2000. I just got one for a friend of mine used at GC, I just set it up for him and I must say its one of the best basses Ive ever played for $400. They didnt know it was such a steal!
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That's a nice bass. Don't do a thing to it. They sound great.

One of my students has one of the old Japanese made Ibanez P copies. It's another very good bass. very high quality work. With TI flats it's everything you need.
  4. Mark Moss

Mark Moss

Feb 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    Does your "new" yamaha have a bolt on neck or is it a neck-thru?
  5. IotaNet

Fellas -

This bass is a bolt-on and I'm going to leave it bone-stock.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Iota, I'm glad you got it. I think it is cool to won a closet classic. It's also alot cheaper than breaking the bank on the one everybody is chasing!:D
  7. sjleland

Nov 12, 2005
    Nice one! :D Good to see you got picks up of that. Very P-bass looking, must be a good sound.
  8. Nice Dwayne, it looks like a cracker, same bridge as on my BB400S, you've got a great bass there, I wish I'd seen it first!! ;)
  9. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I don't really dig the shape of the pickguard but other than that it looks great, congrats!
  10. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  11. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    And it's got it's own looks to boot. Unique bridge engraving, pg shape, and even reverse pups.
    He shoots, he scores.;)
  12. Very sweet.I had a BB 2000,Yamaha makes some great basses,congrats.
  13. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Looks nice, although I'm not so much a fan of the upper horn being so...low.

congrats man...
  14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The more I look at that bass, the more mint I realize it is. I have seen new shopworn basses that looked much worse than this old Yamaha. IotaNet, you got one heck of a deal!:bassist:
  15. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
  16. IotaNet

Loendmaestro -

That looks like an old Yamaha SB75. They went on the market in 1973.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What a great-looking bass. That pickguard has style and flair. Great score!
  18. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    Here is my.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      File size:
      90.6 KB
    TH63 likes this.
  19. Hell yeah, dude! I have a black one like that and it rules. Totally a P on 'roids. Real aggressive tone & kicks butt for punk rock and metal.
  20. bass nitro

bass nitro

Feb 21, 2011
    Right.Amazing tone when use a plectrum.With fingers also sound great - i used to play direct in PA because of lack of money LOL and had no problem to cut through mix.Great bass.