1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Violin bass string ID, please

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SchizoBassist, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Hi, we've had beatlebass gas for a couple of weeks and, having missed out on a $100 Klira, the only bass we can find, near us & in our price range, is an Epi Viola.

The seller describes the strings as flats but they were on the bass when he bought it so he doesn't know anymore.

Can anyone id the strings from the silk?

5211567951_6485afb46e.

5212168246_6a87dd6edc.

2. Chromes?

3. Gort

Gort Banned

Nov 3, 2010
    Area 51
    I think Rotosounds have light blue silk like that but it's been years since I've seen a set.

4. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Chromes don't use silk, and Rotosounds are red. Labella?

5. My several sets of Chromes all have blue silk.

6. But aren't Chromes a darker blue?

7. +1

8. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Those are Dean Markley. The Dean Markley Blue Steels have those threads. Your Epi Viola bass uses standard strings and those look like the Markley's I'm used to seeing.

Sorry you missed out on the Klira. They are actually better quality IMHO then Hofner but since they were competitors they got out marketed thanks to McCartney.

9. When you say "standard strings" do you mean roundwounds?

10. ... because they sure look like flats.

11. lazerbrains

lazerbrains

Nov 30, 2010
    They look just like the Rotosound 77's I just put on my bass - they are a lightweight flat with the same blue silks. They are a bit too bright for my taste, but hopefully that will change when they break in.

12. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    I've been through more than a couple sets of Chromes. They've all had blue silks, but the actual shade of blue has varied greatly. Some light, some dark. If we could see a pic of the ball ends, it would help.

D

13. Thanks, I'll see what I can do.

14. Gort

Gort Banned

Nov 3, 2010
    Area 51
    I just checked the Rotos on my Dano and they're that color of blue. My Chromes have darker blue silk. It's easy to tell Chromes by the colored ball ends.