1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VM Squire Jazz Fretless Mods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KuruKuru, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Hi All!
    I was wondering if anyone has had the VM Squire Jazz Fretless and done any mods to it? The bass itself is quite nice for the price but still like it to sound a bit warmer for that real Jaco sound, anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks! :)

2. DamienLangkamer

DamienLangkamer

Apr 18, 2009
    London UK
    I've got bartolini pickups and an audere pre in mine, sounds sooo amazing, but i would recommend getting a new neck.. theyre so bendy its unbelievable. lovely bass though, and great for the price. i picked mine up second hand for next to nothing.

3. They are unbelievable for the price! I got mine at 20% on sale with a free deluxe gig bag so it was a steal! I found some vintage DiMarzio jazz p/ups, would you recommend putting them in?
    Also what strings are you using on it?

4. DamienLangkamer

DamienLangkamer

Apr 18, 2009
    London UK
    i've got some Daddario flatwounds on at the moment, they seem to do the trick for me. yeah, try them out on it, see what you think! you cant really lose on this bass, i tried out a few pickups on it before going with the barts.

5. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I actually quite enjoy the neck that came on mine. I have it on an SX P-bass right now and the SX neck is on the table (maple/maple being stripped, defretted and reshaped similar to a Geddy Lee jazz profile to be used on the VM jazz.) I'm also planning on putting an Audere Preamp in it, may change out the pickups in time for fralin splits, but I like the Duncan Designed ones for now.