Vocal Harmonies in Power Trio

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by billinbrasil, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I play bass in a power trio, doing classic rock and metal covers. I am the only vocalist. Although most of our set doesn't require backing vocals, there are a number of tunes which could benefit from some enrichment in that department. Currently, we run just reverb and delay on the vocals, the quality if these effects is passable at best. Stage volume is rather loud, as we run only vocals trough our rather small PA. We mix from the stage.

I've been reading a lot about the product offerings of TC Helicon and quite frankly, I haven't been able to determine which unit would best attend our needs. As I said, first and foremost, I want something that can create subtle harmonies, but if the unit offers other features (compression, other effects, tone correction), so much the better. What we don't want is something that sound artificial. Our sound is "bare bones" and we like it that way.

One point that concerns me is the key tracking. From what I've read, theses units need a root and a third (or fifth) to create the harmonies. If we had a second guitar or keys, there would be no issue. However, in our power trio, I'm kind of worried that it won't be able to find the notes a lot of the time because the guitarist is frequently doing riffs, playing off the vocal line. Is this a valid concern??

I know that these units can be manually set to work in a pre-determined key, but is this something "workable" in a live situation??

TIA

2. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I think those units go off of a mic input, yours. I don't like the artifacts those auto harmonizers produce, but I haven't tried one in a few unit "generations".

I would probably sample myself singing into a cheap sampler and trigger it before i would use a processing unit to make up harmonies.

I would get the other players singing as soon as possible. Even if they add backing here and there it will greatly enhance the live performance.

Let us know how the TC helicon works out if you try that route!

3. I think you will be disappointed with the spontaneous harmony technology. It’s not reliable, or instantaneous, and requires more fiddling on stage, so more error prone.

If you are in a band where only one person can sing, that is a constraint of your band. As I see it, you have 3 options: You could spend time developing the other members to vocal competency; you could replace the other members with competent vocalists; or you could go with what you have, and remain a solo vocal band.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022