Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vocals in stereo. Please help.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SWiTCH, Apr 4, 2005.

1. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    Hi.
    I have one of these:
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-main-1.html

I also have a mic. Only problem is I can only go into one of the two channels, but I need to record the vocals in stereo. There's a little spot on the back that says "Stereo Mic Input" but the hole is small and doesn't fit anything that I have.

Do you have any ideas?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Sure, you can get there a few ways, depending on what software you're using. Record a stereo track, and pan your mike to the center so it shows up on both channels. Split the tracks to two mono ones, and pan left and right as desired.

Record a mono track, and mix to a synthesized stereo track, using a pseudo-stereo plugin.

Record a mono track. Clone the track, and pan one hard left, and the other one hard right. For that matter, clone 11 tracks, and pan them all in different places, and throw various small amounts of delay or other EFX on each track. That's one of my favorites, actually.

3. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    I wouldn't know where to look for a plug-in that converts a mono track to stereo. Do you have any suggestions?

4. Passinwind

5. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    Crap I just realised that I explained my problem wrong.
    I can't even record a mono track, I can only record into one channel. So the vocals would either come out of the left speaker or the right speaker, not both.
    Perhaps that program would still work though.
    Thanks.

6. Passinwind

Lets start with what software you have, OK? :cool: This stuff's really confusing sometimes, but maybe we can break it down into something simpler?

7. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    I'm using "Delta Live" to record and mix.

8. Passinwind

OK, have you gone through the Ableton technical FAQs yet? I'm not sure how much your version may differ from the current full version, but it seems worth a try.

There's one here that seems relevant: http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=faq&sub=playback-and-output

I think you might be better served by posting your question on the Ableton forum, unless someone comes along here with direct experience. I'm at least somewhat conversant in Wavelab, n-Track, Cubase, Audition, Sound Forge, and Samplitude, but sequencer/loop based programs scare and confuse me. :cool:

luck,

------------Charlie E

9. SWiTCH

SWiTCH

Jul 20, 2004
    Well damn.
    It was in the FAQ.
    Problem solved. haha.
    Thanks a lot man.

10. Passinwind

Cool! Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes to see things, eh?