Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vodka Tonic takes out amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by DB66, Oct 2, 2005.

1. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Last night I was doing a gig, a big charity fundraiser Ball. I knew I shouldn't have done it, but I put a vodka tonic on my amp (Eden WT-400). About halfway through the second set I thought to myself, "I should really take that drink off my amp". In between songs I reached over to get the drink, maneuvering with upright and spilled the damn drink on my amp. I quickly wiped what I could with my hand but had to play the next song. Next song I got a cloth napkin out of my bag and wiped the amp. Everything was cool for the next couple of songs, but then on the last tune of the set in the middle of the song, my amp cut out, it was still on, just no sound. I finished playing acoustically and during the break switched over to the band's p.a.. I pulled the cable out of the input jack and noticed it was wet on the tip. So for the next two sets I had to play upright and electric tunes without hearing myself and only hoping there was enough volume out front. We had a bombastic sub drummer, so that didn't help matters much. The band didn't really take too much notice, which was both good and bad; good for the relaxed nature of my bandmates, bad for their disinterest in the sound of the bass.

Anyway I checked the amp when I got home and it didn't work, but this morning it worked. Today I left the amp on all day to keep it hot and hopefully dry out any more liquid.

Now I'm wondering what's the long term effect of this mishap?

Burn and learn. :meh:

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This is why I use a sippy cup on all my gigs. ;)

Man, sorry to hear about that mishap. The amp may experience some withdrawal effects of alcohol, but the low sugar content of that drink is probably a good thing.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I believe the WT-400 uses the "Class AA" power-amp design, which explains its refusal to function upon exposure to alcohol.

Hope it dries out and flies right!

4. Oh you guys are quick lol ;-) Bummer about the amp though. The only thing that would be fatal to the amp is if the drink actually shorted out the amp or fried wires. If not I think you'll be alright.

5. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    Give wiring 24 hours to dry out, then try it. I've spilled countless beers, drinks, H2O on amps in the past with no ill effects, although I've never had one short out. My SWR in the anvil case was never an issue. Good luck.

Bill

6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    My keyboard player lost a nice board that way once. It's still in pieces. I drowned my Blackberry recently but used a hair dryer on it for a long time. and it worked again. Good luck with the amp.

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Leave it off and let it dry it will be alright. Run it and it is wet it may fry.

IMHO

tk