Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

volume knob problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Starchman316, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Starchman316

Starchman316

Nov 7, 2005
    I bought a Fender Precision knock-off, basically a kit that you paint and put together yourself. I have yet to, after about a year, be able to play it through an amp. This is due to various wiring problems. Since then I have found an online wiring diagram of a Precision and I wired it according to their guidelines. Now, the problem. The bass only plays through my amp when the volume knob is at a very percise and certain spot. If I turn the knob down or up even a fraction, the sound will disappear and it will go dead. If I move back to that certain spot, it plays again. Does anybody know what would cause it to do that? I've tried re-soldering wires to get a better connection, but no dice. Any help would be appreciated.

2. There's three solder lugs on the volume pot. It sounds like you've got the middle lug connected to the hot signal--that's fine--but you've got both of the outer lugs grounded. Try this site:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-4000.html