1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

volume pedal in effects loop question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzmcs, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jazzmcs

jazzmcs

Feb 26, 2009
    Hey guys. One of the bands I'm in is a cover band and plays songs where I prefer to sit low in the mix and other songs that I prefer to stand out in the mix. Bassically supportive rock vs funk. I also get asked to do a couple improv solos. Making these adjustments without a volume pedal is a bit of a pain since I can only tweak my volume on the preamp between songs. Adjusting the volume on the bass is no good since it drastically changes the drive of the preamp and thus the tone (I'd tried this already). Of course this means my solos are hard to hear and I have to guess at an appropriate but not overwhelming volume for the funky bass heavy tunes vs the supportive rock. So I think a good volume pedal my be what I need. I'm quite the tone purist playing a pedulla thunderbass into a demeter hbp-1 into a bergantino ae410 and do not want to lose tone if I purchase a volume pedal. I do have some random pedals and I can definitely tell the difference in tubey warmth with the pedals inline so I choose not to even use them anymore. In order to combat the tone loss issue I was thinking of putting a volume pedal in my active effects loop of the demeter hbp1 (not tube buffered, just active). My goal would be to have a master volume control into the poweramp with no loss of the warm deep demeter tone. So first, is this even possible or will I lose tone even if I put a volume pedal in the effects loop? Second, I was thinking of getting the Morley Volume Plus Volume because it has min and max setting. Therefore I could set my "sit in the mix" volume as the min and my solo tone as the max. My louder, yet not as loud as solo tone, could be somewhere in the middle and adjusted on the fly. If it wasn't for the need to adjust while playing I'd of course just use a boost pedal. So what do you guys think? BTW, the Morley pedal is listed as active with an audio taper and optical.

Thanks!
    Mike

2. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Get a LOW-impedance volume pedal (or one made for active signals) for the FX loop.