1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vortex ring from your old sub

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seamonkey, Oct 16, 2013.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    There's always a Halloween gig or two, and a visual effects can be fun. Here's some ideas to grab an old speaker to make a poloidal vortex ring. A slow moving vortex ring filled with smoke that shoots out from the band. Throw air against air and you get a vortex.

Camel2.

A well designed cabinet would never chuff a vortex out. Major speaker companies have lawsuits against each other as they try to minimize vortices and turbulence in ports. Vortices cause noise and doppler problems as well as rob port efficiency. However, You can force a cabinet to chuff some air by applying a low frequency ramp waveform. Fill a chamber with smoke or Dry fog, pull the cone back slowly then shoot it forward to puff out air. This puff carries the smoke in the form a ring. You need to pull the cone back again because the vortex has just as much air moving forward as it does backwards.

Here's a youtube of a home vortex cannon

Have some fun with it, just don't over do it!

330px-Mushroom_cloud.svg.

:D

2. MX21

MX21

Sep 28, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I built one of these using a tube like the guy in the picture above, and a 12" woofer for a science fair demo last year. I blew 12" rings clear across a gym.

You have to hit the speaker pretty hard, so you may not want to use your favorite cabinet.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I thought someone here had trademarked the word "Vortex" in context of bass cabs? :)

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Seamonkey, this is probably the coolest thing you've ever posted. You're not so bad after all. Thanks, man.

5. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Looks like a job for Joey D at Klops Drum Speakers

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    :D

7. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Instead of a speaker, maybe put a loose drum head on the end of the tube.
    Set it next to the drummer and give him one of those big kettle drum sticks.

-

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Would pumping a fog machine into a kick drum do the same thing?

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes...except for the mic stand arm sticking through the hole could throw off the smoke ring....unless you do like I do and don't use a stand...just lay the mic on the pillow in there two fingers away from the batter head. :bag::D

10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    There's a bass drum video above.

Now this vid I actually smell when I watch it!

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Wow - that far?
    Drivers with large xmax could do really good.

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  13. Wow, they'd be really onto something if it could suck as well as blow.