Vox Stomplab 2b (IIb) - Presets and big funk sounds?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mattynabib, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Incredible - the best of the best

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Very good - an under appreciated artist

100.0%
  3. Alright - he's pretty good, I guess

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not so much - I don't care for his playing/their music

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bleah - those guys are all hippy noodlers!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mattynabib

Mattynabib

Feb 20, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Hey all,

I just got a Vox Stomplab IIb, my first effects pedal in 25 years. So far I like it, though it has the same issues as all compact multi-effect pedals: tricky to program, crappy displays, low fidelity effects, awkward to control in any granular fashion, etc. That said, I like it quite a bit so far; it's not THAT hard to program, this is all for live playing so I don't need CD-quality, and I'm enjoying the range of options and sounds available.

To that end, I want to know if ANYONE has catalogued the presets into a list somewhere that they could share. It's a little annoying that they don't include a list of the presets anywhere. Yes, discovery and experimentation is fun, but I don't want to have to discover and experiment every time I'm looking for the right sound to start with as a base for my own.

Next, I am NOT a sound engineer or expert; most of my sound has come from my bass, amp, and hands. But I want to get some big honkin' funk sounds. Envelope filtering, octave, and the "Filtron" setting go some distance here, but all the sounds I get have some weird mid-rangey ring or not enough bass to be satisfying and I can't figure out how to get a good combo of factors to get the sound I'm looking for.

A very good example is in the Phish version of "2001" (Aug 7, 2010) - as they come out of the main theme, Mike Gordon's bass has a great octave-wah/synth sound that keeps the low end but the effect still cuts through beautifully - listen at about 5:05 and 6:10 for good examples:

Is there anyone here who can guide me in the art of creating such a funk sound for the 2b?

Thanks in advance, and for all the great discussion and advice!
    Matt

2. Mattynabib

Mattynabib

Feb 20, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Thanks to user "ambient space" (who I can't tag in here for some reason) for this post on the Vox Stomplab 1b presets - which happen to be exactly the same as the 2b presets, since it is the same unit just without the pedal. This is exactly the kind of starting point I needed!

Now - anyone want to give that Mike Gordon 2001 funk sound a shot? I'll share my settings when I come up with anything close.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022