Vox Stomplab 2b (IIb) - Presets and big funk sounds?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mattynabib, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Incredible - the best of the best

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Very good - an under appreciated artist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Alright - he's pretty good, I guess

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not so much - I don't care for his playing/their music

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bleah - those guys are all hippy noodlers!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mattynabib

Mattynabib

Feb 20, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Hey all,

I just got a Vox Stomplab IIb, my first effects pedal in 25 years. So far I like it, though it has the same issues as all compact multi-effect pedals: tricky to program, crappy displays, low fidelity effects, awkward to control in any granular fashion, etc. That said, I like it quite a bit so far; it's not THAT hard to program, this is all for live playing so I don't need CD-quality, and I'm enjoying the range of options and sounds available.

To that end, I want to know if ANYONE has catalogued the presets into a list somewhere that they could share. It's a little annoying that they don't include a list of the presets anywhere. Yes, discovery and experimentation is fun, but I don't want to have to discover and experiment every time I'm looking for the right sound to start with as a base for my own.

Next, I am NOT a sound engineer or expert; most of my sound has come from my bass, amp, and hands. But I want to get some big honkin' funk sounds. Envelope filtering, octave, and the "Filtron" setting go some distance here, but all the sounds I get have some weird mid-rangey ring or not enough bass to be satisfying and I can't figure out how to get a good combo of factors to get the sound I'm looking for.

A very good example is in the Phish version of "2001" (Aug 7, 2010) - as they come out of the main theme, Mike Gordon's bass has a great octave-wah/synth sound that keeps the low end but the effect still cuts through beautifully - listen at about 5:05 and 6:10 for good examples:

Is there anyone here who can guide me in the art of creating such a funk sound for the 2b?

Thanks in advance, and for all the great discussion and advice!
    Matt