1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VV Brown and JEM

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by bbass75, Mar 9, 2010.

1. bbass75

bbass75

Dec 14, 2008
    NYC
    Janek,

I was curious about how you got the VV Brown and JEM gigs. These are both great artists and I really dig what you've been doin with em! I know they're both UK artists, does that have anything to do with you getting the call for it? Also, I'm wondering what goes into accepting a gig on thats on the road for 40+ dates and what goes into preparing for these gigs as well as your actual role on the road with VV Brown and JEM and what your day is like typically. Thanks for all the great insight, Janek. I'm hoping to catch one of your US dates when you guys come back to the states!

James

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I saw Janek's video playing with VV on Jimmy Kimmel and I can't stop listening to it.

I asked Janek not long ago how he landed the gig, and he said he's known VV's manager(i think?) for many years and he hooked him up with the gig.

I haven't checked out JEM though... Gonna check that.

3. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    Gigs like this tend to come through word of mouth, or knowing the right people. Sometimes auditions are the way forward, but I'm generally the musical director for the kinds of sideman gigs I'm doing on the road so I'm normally the one holding the auditions. It doesn't have anything to do with being from the UK, just so happens that that these two particular artists you mentioned are from there.

Life on the road with VV involves a multitude of things right now. I'm doing all the radio promo with her playing guitar at all the radio stations across the US, and then playing bass and being the musical director in the band for the live touring. I'm even playing trumpet on one song each night which is new for me.

Preparing for a tour like the leg i'm on right now just involves knowing the music, having the schedule outlined in your head so you know what to expect when you get out there, be in good physical shape, and packing lots of clothes! 37 nights straight on the road is a long stretch without a night off, and without coming home at all, so you need to be prepared for that.

Easy,

Janek

4. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    I had no idea both these artists were from the UK! Awesome! Thank christ they have a Brit MD, eh? :)

5. "Shark in the water" is tooooo catchy, i've listened to it like 20 times already.... Well, time to start transcribing the bass line ;)

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Slacker!;)

It's great how you can do both the pop side and the heavy-duty muso stuff.

7. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Nice! Just saw the clip of VV Brown from Craig Ferguson's show (TC posted it on facebook). I haven't heard her before. Great job.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020