1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

VVT troubles (Jazz Bass pickups)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by twinjet, Oct 7, 2019.

1. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Hey gang.

I am having an interesting time with my J. I can run pickups full on or soloed. I can't seem to blend the two together. Additionally, my tone knob doesn't seem to alter the sound very noticeably. It's either tone off, somewhat off or wide open.

There is no 80/20'ing the neck & bridge, etc. It's either both full on, or a pickup is soloed.

I noticed this issue as soon as I installed the first set of new strings. It doesn't change if I'm going through an amp or headphones. It's just weird. I'm sure the solution is simple, though...

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Did someone modify the harness? The stock harness should produce what you want.

3. xaosbass

xaosbass

Feb 15, 2008
    Linear taper pots for volumes; audio taper for tone?

4. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    The bass in question is a build. The harness was built on the spot instead of purchased ready-to-go. The tech I worked with took some pots, wires and went to town.

5. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Perhaps the volume pots were wired incorrectly for a two pickup harness. Your symptoms sound like it was wired like a Les Paul.

Passinwind likes this.
  6. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    The tech recommended upgrading to Emerson pots. He also said the CTS pots may not have been as good a quality as I should have gone for, so we are trying that.

7. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Fix the fundamental problem first. Upgrading pots is not the solution to the issues you are having.

Crater and twinjet like this.
  8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Emerson pots are just pricey CTS with a little tighter tolerance.

PawleeP and Killed_by_Death like this.
  9. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    It's not super clear to me how you aren't able to blend them, do you mean that when you back off one of the volumes it doesn't change at all until it is all the way down? Same with the tone, are you describing sudden shifts?

10. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    That's basically what he told me, yeah.
    Yup, you got it. Tone is similar, but changes are not so sudden.

BassWaffle and Slater like this.
  11. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    How is the harness wired? What are the values and taper of the pots?
    There is a pretty standard way to wire a VVT J bass. FWIW, with typical passive pickups, using 250K linear taper volumes and a 250 or 500K audio taper tone makes a VVT most easily finessed.

PawleeP likes this.
  12. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Honestly I have no recollection of what he used aside from using cheaper CTS pots. I can try and find out later.

13. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I think what we're more interested in is how it was wired, not necessarily the specifics on the pots. Can you post clear photos, and or make decent enough drawings so we can learn what's going on better?