1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wait for the EA 2x8 or other options?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by flatback, Apr 2, 2006.

1. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    So A while ago I played an EA 2x8 with the Focus II and it was such a great sound that I thought I'd wait for EA to start making them again. I have been playing the LDS 1x8, but when I heard them next to each other the EA just had so much more low velvet and was a lot less harsh. I was pole mounting the LDS but noticed that it sounded a lot better tilted from the floor. I still love the micro rig but I'd love to have a larger cab for bigger gigs.
    I was looking at the LDS 2x8 but when you add the neo drivers and road finish the price starts approaching EA land.
    Are they ever gunna make these things? what are they gunna cost? How come they don't offer a 1x8 or 2x8 or 1x10 anymore? Did no one buy them?
    One other question what is the best 2x8 on the market now (for DB)
    thanks,
    p

2. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd keep looking for a VL208 and pounce on the next one you see. Might be awhile.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    There was one in the classifieds about a week or two ago. It was there for about 2 days, I didn't see any responses to it and then it disappeared. Not sure what happened to it. I think the asking price was $925 or 975 something like that.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I was looking at the LDS 2x8 but when you add the neo drivers and road finish the price starts approaching EA land.
    Are they ever gunna make these things? what are they gunna cost? How come they don't offer a 1x8 or 2x8 or 1x10 anymore? Did no one buy them?
    One other question what is the best 2x8 on the market now (for DB)
    thanks,
    p[/QUOTE]

Well,
    I can only speak from my own experience, but my LDS 2x8 3 way
    cost about $700.00 including the detachable cart option and the road spray.
    It's simply the best cabinet I have ever owned, and that includes my
    EA VL 108 and my EA VL 110. It's a great cabinet.

Ric Vice

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Road spray?

Oh I know, it's what you use when you can't take a bath for a week on the road.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Man I love that flatback. That's what I wanna sound like, low velvet. Hehe! That's beautiful baby.

Probably just a coincidence, but I noticed that Tom B's LDS Neo's were up for sale I believe. Or a subset of them perhaps.

Of course maybe it's just 'cuz his whole house was starting to sink from the weight of all his gear. I visited his bass blog & bass borg the other day and saw some pics.

Oh my.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    There's just nothing like the VL 208 that I've seen, and I've looked at a lot of stuff. Keep looking, and if you get a chance to get your hands on a Wizzy, grab the opportunity - I've heard more than one person compare them favorably to the 208.

8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Yep,
    It's kinda like road kill but not as messy! Less chunks!

9. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I went through several VL cabs including the 208 (and a Wizzy) on my way to greater satisfaction with LDS versions. The LDS's got trumped by the Epi UL110. And all of them got whomped by Markbass Traveler cabinets - the 2x10, 1x12 or 1x15 (reviews posted elsewhere). Now that I'm into Markbass, I haven't felt the desire to try anything else for many, many months and dozens of gigs (and for me, that's a minor miracle.) I was as convinced if not more than anyone that it was 8" drivers or nada for DB. Just goes to show you, you can't judge a piece of gear by it's specs alone.

10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Macmrkt was responsible in part for the LDS 2x8 Three way cabinet that many of us own and really like. So if he says that the
    Markbass Cabinets are worth a look then I'd listen to him. As soon as they get their U.S. distributorship I'm definitely giving them an audition.

Ric

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To my ears, there isn't really anything that sounds quite like the VL-208. But, to get close, you might consider the NL-210, Wizzy, LDS cabs, or the MarkBass 102P (Traveller 2x10).

Tom.

12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes, my interest in the MB 102P is peaking. As much as I
    like my Epifani 210UL, its not a good doubling cab for me. It
    just has too much biggness to it. My 110UL is wonderful
    but not enough box for doubling. I'm thinking the 102P is small
    enough for a tight, fast, non boomy upright sound, with
    the ability to eq in the lows for electric. Thats my hope.
    If anyone has real world experience, let us know.

13. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Either the Traveler 102P or the 121H. As good as I've found for doubling. And I've looked extensively. It's what I sold my 110UL to get after testing both in my environs. The 110UL is real nice but it pales compared to these. Not as accurate or impactful. These cabinets are just silly good (or is that stupid good?) And they even work on well on the floor in most rooms saving you the effort of bringing a stand or finding the right chair. The 102P is a couple of pounds lighter but thinner making it somewhat easier to carry than the 121H. But either carry easy due to their scooped steel handle.

14. ninnlangel

ninnlangel Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    France, Switzerland
    from what I understand of the tone of the 208, it seems that is would be close to the Acmes. Have you tried the B1 ? Though I need more power and will switch to a Focus soon, I love the tone I get with my Contra and B1 pair...

As to the wizzy, I don't understand why so many people recommend it to people who enjoy clean sounding full range speakers, I owned one, and I thought it sounded good, but not clean, not full range, not modern clean.

15. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've been using a Focus I for upright gigs. It works well
    for that application. In my experiences the 112 boxes
    are a good "old school" sound, but 10's or 8's are quicker
    for more of a modern sound. The Epi 110UL works very
    well for small upright gigs, as does the Berg Ht112.
    From size and specs, (and your opinion) the 102P may
    be bass heaven for me, IF THEY EVER WORK IT OUT
    WITH GUITAR CENTER!
    So I would ask you macmrkt.... What kind for upright sound
    have you been looking for? What kind of music do you
    play on upright? Inquiring minds want to know..........

16. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    :ninja:

17. B String

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I haven't had the pleasure of using a VL208, but when
    we did a mini shootout with the Epi 110UL, Acme B-1,
    Wizzy, Berg HT112, using a Focus, (we all own one)
    Everyone loved the Berg 112 box no matter what tone
    you were looking for. It seemed to accommodate all
    our basses and tone tastes. As great a box as it may be,
    it still ain't cutting it for doubling.

18. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I like a modern, studio quality sound. I play pizz, jazz mostly. Brian Bromberg's or Eddie Gomez's recorded tone are excellent examples of what I strive for. I have good DB's I think - a Pollmann and a pair of Arnold and Wil creations. I've tweaked the bridges, strings and pickups so they sound as good as I can get them. I've had a couple of very experienced, well respected bassists (not me!) play them and say these basses did really sound great, among the best they've ever heard or played - so I believe that they do sound good.

My amplified sound should only enhance the volume - that's it (OK - the 'E' string is probably made fuller too, but that's another story).

There's no question that the Markbass Traveler cabs and heads get the sound right, for DB and BG. I was almost there with WW heads and the UL110's, but not quite. The UL112's were not acceptable for DB, OK for BG.

When you try Markbass, be prepared to throw out all notions of what should be the right driver size.

19. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Go North young man, life is short.

20. dpc

dpc

Jun 1, 2002
    Boulder,Co
    I have played through The EA Vl 2x8 ,EA Wizzy, and the Acme 1x10. I was using my Clarus and a David Gage pu on my old german flatback.The EA cabinets sound very close. The Wizzy gets a little boomy in the low-mids compared to the Vl 2x8 so that I have to dial out with the high pass filter on my Clarus.The high end sounds very close. The Wizzy is a little louder.Both EA cabinets are much louder than the Acme (and I was trying the 4ohm model) The Vl 2x8 especialy just sparkled compared to the Acme's.