1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Waiting for my first amp... Holy Crap.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrettTheThreat, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Fender Rumble 150

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. GK MB115

17 vote(s)
    94.4%
  1. I've been aching for an amp for months now. I just started playing bass a few months ago while at university but now I'm home for good and can spend some money on an amp! I went back and forth between the Fender Rumble 150 and the GK MB115. I played the Rumble at Long and McQuade (Canadian chain music store) and really liked the sound and versatility. The tweeter was awfully hissy though, but its defeatable. It has an overdrive channel that is pretty close to a fuzz when cranked. DI, FX loop.. Everything a young man thinks he needs. :bassist:

I had been leaning towards a GK because I've been playing one at my instructor's house (MB150S) I've played through the 400RB-IV and loved it. Unfortunately, L&M didn't know when they were going to be back in stock. And on top of that they were about $90 more expensive. $90 and I don't know when I can get one? Eesh.. I've heard they're amazing but I dunno... I really liked the Rumble.

So today I went back in today to buy the thing.. and it was sold! I should've bought it when I saw it the first time but I needed to sleep on it. Sure taught me a lesson! But I've got a deposit down on the next one that comes in which ought to be next week some time. But how am I going to make it through until next week?! I want to shake the walls now! I've gone months playing through other people's gear and my *puts on flame suit* g**tard amp! Help me Obi Wan! You're my only hope! :help:

2. Waiting is a bitch ALWAYS, just remember while playing through that guitar amp: You have something better comming and it's the bassist that makes the sound, not what you are plugged into.
    Help any? :)

3. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    If I were in your shoes, I'd wait for the GK and while waiting find some way to scrape up the extra cash. I agree, waiting sucks but it can be worth it sometimes. I waited 7 months for my Music Man Sabre when I ordered it in 1983, it was worth it. The anticipation of playing it for the first time was all I could think of. I was 13 and saved my money from working on my Uncle's hog farm in Iowa over 2 summers just to get it.

4. i personally would have gone with the GK too. i sold my amp in august before i went off to college, got a sever addiction to talkbass and youtube, and then couldn't wait until i got a new amp for christmas because of said addictions. my advice for waiting. use headphones if your current amp has a headphone out. IME playing through headphones on a not so great amp can sound surprisingly good.

5. Well I haven't bought the Fender yet so there is still plenty of time to get my mind changed. Even if I do buy it I can return it within a month. The issue with the GK is twofold, heaven only knows when I can get one, and its more expensive. BUT if there was one sitting on the floor this morning, it would be in my living room by noon.

Shucks... what would YOU do TB? Poll added!

6. Wait for the GK. I have a GK MB210, one of the most amazing combo amps I have ever owned.

7. jmcgliss

jmcgliss

Apr 30, 2007
    Chicago
    When starting out, it will save you money in the long run to save a bit more for something that will serve you longer. Resale value is important whenever G.A.S. is at work.

8. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    It's a lot better to wait for the better amp. I waited for a year before I even bought my first bass! (I played bass on a guitar) :D

9. Yeah, I went many years playing a crap guitar through a crap amp before I finally got a setup I'm pleased with. Having respectable gear after playing through garbage for so long is pretty exciting.

Well based on you guys, (the poll is at 11-0, ATM), and a little belief that fate might be intervening I called up L&M and took my deposit off the Rumble and put it on the GK. Let the waiting game begin...

10. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Wait for the GK.

There are a lot of stories on TB about people being rash, and then finding out they made the wrong decision.