Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wake :: a live coffee house gig

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by James Hart, Aug 17, 2004.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey All y'all! I had to hit RadioShack for a computer case fan on my way home and also grabbed an RCA to 1/8 inch stereo adapter to attach my VCR's audio to my computer.

I recorded in Cakewalk Sonar XL an hour of audio from a show we did in July. I marked all the breaks and am in the middle of encoding MP3s out of it for my band site.

It's just the crappy built in mic from a Hi8 CamCorder
    Kin
    Alone
    Believe

Mine is Benavente fretless 6 -> Yamahe pre -> Crown power -> Schroeder cabinet... the Guitarist is Alembic -> Gazillion boutique effects -> Mesa 212 combo... Singer into Yamaha 12 channel mixer -> QSC RMX2450 -> JBL 2-way on stands with a monitor feed to one of my Ashdown Mag "kickback" style combos.
    [​IMG]

it ain't anything earth shattering, and it's most likely too light & fluffy for most of you... but I dig it and so does my girl... and I'm having fun with it.

Now we just need to find a drummer!!!!

I'll post more as I finish encoding and uploading... maybe 2 more tonight

:bag:

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Grey Street

our hack job of DMB's tune.... I need to actually listen to is and learn the line, it was a last minute addition to the set list.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Fear
    Son
    Unnamed

A couple more the encoded during the night... thanks for listening :bassist:

4. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Is your guitarist actually using an alembic guitar?

Doesn't he know that if it's not a tele, strat, or LP, he's not in the club anymore?

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    that's exactly why he's in *my* club :smug:

being a Dead and Phish head it makes sense for him to have an Alembic. I really dig his tones... very cool uses of his effects.

Here is the last of the MP3s (if anyone has actually listened :meh: )

Laydown
    All Along the Watchtower

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    sounds great James........ I think I might hear a radio hit in there.................... ;)

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    you're too kind! It was a rough month for everyone and none of us played too well.

I think Vic is marketable... definately the most listenable singer I've delt with. We are working on him being hot in the PA and softer into the mic.... he can be a bit intense to listen to for a long period of time. As much has his power is cool, I think it's more effective if he stays soft more, the llead player agrees.

I will say, in the few months of working this stuff out and finally tracking down a guitarist that fits... I've not heard Vic go off key more then a couple times, he's very consistant.

His songs ain't so bad neither :bassist:

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    91 views :eyebrow: and only one comment about the tunes?

.... from a friend (thanks again Brian)

.... anyone else?

:help:

9. Don't worry James, I'll listen to them when I get chance to and give a in-depth review (you can count on that ;) ). Afterall, I am the senior reviewer around here (I love threads like these) - it's what I do. And expect me to brutally honest - if you or anyone sounds bad, I'm gonna let you know (in a nice way though). But from what I've heard from your site, your band sounds pretty good. :)

Sean

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    *gulp*

:) Thanks!

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I listened to the first three. Well played, good vocals. As you say, not the best mix. Not my cup of tea musically, but certainly viable.

Without a drummer, maybe in the meantime some more dynamics in the arrangements might help keep listener attention. As it is, I found my attention drifting by the middle of each song.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks Dave, I'm shopping for a portable recording box and real mics at the moment... so I may have some better takes from our next show.

That was thought one by all of us, we weren't ready for the show and just stuck to the basics. We've since re written / re arranged "Unnamed" and 2 that didn't make the cut for the show to be a little more interesting in the arrangements... most the others are at least getting some polish to them. What is tough is the spending of too much time working out details knowing any day the right drummer might step up.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey James, I'm listening right now. So far it sounds great, a little tough to really comment on as it's a live recording off a cam, but I'm liking the vibe so far.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks man, I'm going back and forth with the singer about how to record this better... I just upgraded my computer a little bit and might just bring it to rehearsal.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    here is one of our newer tunes that got cut from the show

http://www.hartsafire.com/mp3/wake-11-last_song.mp3

I just finally recorded the bass to it. Once again, this is a Mic into my soundcard picking up the room withthe acoustic and vocals live. My bass overdubbed later all in Cakewake Sonar XL this time. Bass is plugged direct to the line in of a Soundblaster Live! (little better then my old machine)

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

*wearing fake mustache and glasses*

Wow! Sounds great James....

*glue lets 1/2 the mustache fall away*

ummm... I mean... never mind :meh:

:D Here we go again, I got an email from a drummer!!! My age and a quick list of influence ranged from Copeland to Collaiuta to Jones. He heard the stuff and wants in :hyper:

17. Ok, here it is:

First things first, your singer sounds amazing! I hear the DMB influence, but just a hint of it. He sounds more like someone else; I can't put my finger on it. I get back to you on that.

Kin - Your bass tone is really good. I noticed that your singer seems to be louder than everyone else for some reason.
    This is a really good song. (I actually heard this one before when I went to your site.) Anyhow, it's tough to really judge the lead guitar and bass because they're so low in the mix. However, the vocals and acoustic guitar are pretty clear. The acoustic guitar is what really makes the song. Your singer could just play this solo and it would still hold up very well. (I can't imagine a drum beat, though - it'd be interesting to see what the drummer comes up with).

BTW, who's that saying "This is my favorite" in the beginning of the song?

Alone - Singer sounds a lot like DM on this one. Almost too much. This is not really my of tea musically. It sounds nice and heavenly, though. Could be a good wedding song.
    Also, the basslines you play are pretty good and the lead guitar plays some nice melodies.

Believe - Everything is even volume-wise on this one at least. The acoustic guitar gets kind of monotonous. Drums would really help on this one - I started to drift a little. I hear someone leaving and saying goodbye in the beginning. I hope they just had to leave early. ;)

Anyway, "Kin" is the best of the 3. That's all for now. More to follow once I listen to the other songs. And I was surprised to find out that you had no drummer. But the band works well and sounds decent without one. Naturally, it does have that something's missing feeling though.

Nevertheless, I see a lot of potential and a bright future with this band. Keep up the good work and good luck with the new drummer! Now I must get some sleep... :oops:

Keep rockin' Jersey, :cool: :bassist:

Sean

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :smug: Thanks!

In "Kin", that's the camera ace of a wife of mine talking to her parents, sister and my good bud Jay.

In "Believe", it's her family heading out. Her sister is a great chick, but always ill. They weren't gonna come because it was a sick day... but they showed up for about an hour.

"Kin" is most everyones favorite. I like "Son" and "Last Song" as tunes to listen to... to play is definately "Laydown" even though the version I linked to here is a bit of a train wreck, "Fear" is another strong and fun one... but for this show Rusty's Wah pedal busted and the new RMC he ordered showed up 2 days too late, it makes his part.

BTW: "Alone", is about living life as an addict with the strain and let down it brings on those around it... not quite wedding song material. I'm writing a bass line to our latest (recorded on my computer the night "Last Song" was.... it's called "Die in Your Arms". It's a chick tune for sure. It's Vic's spin on Romeo&Juliet

I can't wait till next time cause I'm picking up some live recording mics from Sound Professionals.com and I'll be working on getting a better mix (and less conversations ;) )

The drummer is already giving us crap! He doesn't think he can commit to weekly jams... he wants this to be a "walk in". I'm waiting for the "Rehearsal fee" he'll be requesting next :meh:

I'm so close to just programming a drummer :eyebrow:

Thanks for the review :bassist:

19. Oops...
    Yeah, well, it was hard to make out the lyrics. The song just sounded so pleasant, so I figured it was supposed to be an uplifting song. My bad... :)

Edit:

Uh-oh, that doesn't too sound good. He should be part of the band more. Now escuse me while I rock out "Play That Funky Music" before I hit the links. :bassist: I seriously need to get off this forum....

Sean

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us

Vic likes to have the mood and words contradict each other at times.

:bassist:

Thanks Again for listening and reviewing!!!