1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WalkAbout 2-ohm Operation: Curious

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowbrow, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I’m wondering how someone got the notion to put their WalkAbout on the line by experimenting to see if it could operate stably at 2 ohms.

Also, why would Mesa rate the amp at 4 ohms minimum if 2-ohm operation is an option? Typical old-fashioned (and I mean old-fashioned) American over engineering?

2. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst

Jun 4, 2008
    I personally have not operated mine at 2ohms but many people have said in the past they have done so with no adverse effects. I wouldnt suggest it though. It might screw your warranty up.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I even think the engineers at Mesa bump heads over this one.

You can call the same day and speak to two different people and get two different answers.

People on TB use it at 2ohms all of the time, I was advised however even from the guy at Mesa that said it will run two ohm not to do it on a 115 degree day because the amp WILL overheat. It may not fail immediately but it will degrade the components over time will degrade due to heat.

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I believe tha manual used to read something like
    "2 ohm operation is ok, but not recommended."
    A former Mesa employee posted here that it was extensively torture tested at 2 ohm, had no issues, and put out ~550 watts.

Search the mega thread for posts by me, you'll find where I quoted him.

I run mine at 2.67 pretty regular.

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I run my Walkabout 12 @ 2ohms all the time with a Scout 15 ext cab underneath it. No issues, ever (not even in 108 degree heat). Does not really even get all that hot to the touch during a 4 hour gig. The only thing I watch is not running the master too far over 12 noon.

I have also run it regularly @ 2.67 with an 8ohm PH 1x12 underneath it. Although I don't use this combination so much any more since I got my Venture 2x12.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The manual for mine read the same. I've used it at 2 ohms and 2.67 with no problems. But as to "how did someone get the notion to put their Walkabout on the line by experimenting to see if could operate stably at 2 ohms"--I don't know who was the first. I don't think we'll ever know.

I know I put mine on the line because the manual said that 2 ohm operation was okay but not recommended and I wanted to see what it sounded like with the added benefit of another speaker. It sounded fantastic, the amp ran like a champ and I was convinced.

Yes, the Walkabout is well engineered and probably overbuilt compared to many lightweight and powerful combos today.

7. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Thanks -- not having access to an old manual (my Walkabout is used) I imagine that Mesa's wink-wink OK for 2 ohms really says it all. They wouldn't have gone on record - even with qualification - unless they knew the amps wouldn't fry.