Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

walkabout cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fredguy, Jan 7, 2005.

1. fredguy

fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    ootah
    I recently traded my used swr sm400 for a new mesa walkabout and I realized it was cab upgrade time as well. I primarily play in a 6 piece band with a rather eclectic mix of tunes which concentrate on funk, jazz, and r+b covers and originals with a little johnny cash and ween for good measure. I play an Alembic Essence and a passive p-bass special. I currently have an swr sob 1x15 which stays at my house and a workingmans 2x10 which stays where we practice. When we play out I usually go through the board and use the 2x10 as a stage monitor. If the sound system sucks I bring the 1x15 as well. I'm looking at parting with one (the 2x10) or both cabs for something new. My budget is in the 500-1k range. I've read Tom's 2x10 review as well as his reviews of the walkabout with various other cabs but living in the bass backwater that is Salt Lake City I'm unable to try most of the cabs discussed here on talkbass.

The only decent cab I've found locally, where I could trade my existing cab(s), is an ea vl-210b priced about $150 too high at $679. I'm also unsure how well this will work out at stage volumes. The epifani 112 110 combo Tom likes seems like a good idea, but considering the price and my inability to try it out first I'm a little gun shy. An accugroove Tri112 or Tri210 also could work out but for the price of one of those I could get two cabs from dr.bass or low down sound, whose logo alone makes me want one as I live in the original motown. As you can see I'm in a bit of a quandry and any input is appreciated.

:help:

dave

2. toddmcm

toddmcm

Jan 19, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    What about a Mesa Cab?

I currently only own the 1x15, and with the Walkabout head, it pumps out around 200w. HOWEVER, for stage stuff, combine it with a 2x10 and your pumping out around 200 to each cab.

and AMAZING sound.

It's more of a long term solution to start with the one cab and eventually buy the second. But I can tell you it's a super sweet combo.

I just bought the 1x15 off ebay for $535 delivered.

3. fredguy

fredguy

Dec 13, 2004
    ootah
    I actually ordered a LDS 2x8 with upgraded tweeter. I'll post a review after I receive it.

dave

4. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    There are several of us here that use the Walkabout with GS112's. It seems that they make a good match and usually run around 300 used.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am very interested to hear how you like that 2x8 and how it works with the Walkabout! I suspect that this will be a great match. Is your 2x8 4 ohm or 8 ohm? I find that the Walkabout really does best with a 4 ohm load (though in my experience, it also handles a 2.67 or 2 ohm load just fine). Two LDS 2x8's would be great with the Walkabout!

Although it may be a moot point now, I just saw this thread and was going to say that while I love my EA VL-210's, they are not a good match for the Walkabout, as they really like more juice. I will second the comment from toddmcm that the Walkabout would sound good with Mesa cabs. I have driven my Diesel 4x10 and Diesel Powerhouse Jr. with the Walkabout, and it sounded great. It also sounded very good with my Dr. Bass 2x10 and 1x15.

Let us know how things work out!

Tom.