Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 57pbass, Mar 14, 2005.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

What is the power rating @ 8 ohms?

Its 300 @ 4 ohms so I guess it would be around 150 watts?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    According to my Owner's Manual, it says..."A speaker load of 8 Ohms may also be used though the overall power will be reduced to roughly 150 watts using this rate of impedance."

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I recall reading 175 watts at 8 ohm quoted somewhere, but I can't find it right now. I will keep looking. At any rate, something close to 1/2 its rating at 4 ohm seems about right.

If at all possible, I suggest running the Walkabout at a 4 ohm load. And some of us (myself included) have had luck running a 2.67 or 2 ohm load with a Walkabout.

Tom.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Anyone know the power rating with these loads?

5. General consensus on these boards (via Ben Strange) is ~600 watts at 2 ohms. I don't remember for sure ( a search may help), but I believe people testified to running at these loads for hours on end with no problem. If you're concerned with voiding your warranty, Mr. Strange seemed to think that this may not be an issue (again, search to verify the crap I'm spewing).

Mike

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The manual does state that the amp is stable down to 2 ohms, but also lists 4 ohm as the minimum "recommended load." But still, listing the part about the 2 ohm ability probably gives you room to argue if a warranty issue should arise (that is related to an otherwise covered incident).