Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walkabout Scout Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I am thinking about purchasing the extension cab for my Walkabout Scout Combo. It is a 112 cab made exactly like the combo with the downward firing radiator. Has anyone used this setup yet and if so give me your input please. Either that or would I better off with a boogie bass cab that I used seperately with the Walkabout head?

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Chances are, you purchased the 12" 4ohm scout cab, and 4 ohm is as low that the walkabout can safely operate at. The scout is available in 8 ohm, but to get one, you had to order it in that way. Mesa ships 4 ohms unless requested.

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    When I bought the combo it was setup with a 112 extension cab that had been ordered with it. I wonder if it is 2ohms then? I hadn't thought about it before, but if you are using the head alone then you would use a 4ohm cab so I guess the extension cab must be 2ohms. Anyone know for sure? Benjamin?

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    It will most likely say on the back, but since you broke the set, it is probably the 8 ohm that you are looking for!

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Esthetically, it might look nice to use the extension cab designed to be used with the Scout (presuming that your internal speaker is the 8 ohm model). However, if you wish to consider using the Walkabout head with other cabs, in my experience, the best matches that I have made with my Walkabout are either driving an Epifani T-112/T-110UL combo, or pushing my 4 ohm EA Wizzy. Both of these combinations are very good matches. However, I have not heard the Scout combo, itself. It seems to get good reviews, though, so just adding an extension cab might be a cool way to go.

Tom.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think that would depend on where you bought it. If it was at GC, I wouldn't implicitly trust that they had the right ohms setup. If it was an independant shop, then you are probably safe.

I think the best thing to do would be to check inside and see what the speaker is stamped with. If it's an 8 ohm speaker, you are good to go.

Perhaps I should make a suggestion to Boogie to label them in the future...

7. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You could also test the speaker with a multimode meter while it is still in the cab.
    Wes

8. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    First off thanks for all the replys. Now it is time to do damage control on my rig. Well crap. I sold my SVT 3 head and my PR410 cab. My plan was to go with the Walkabout Scout combo and the 112 extension cab when the combo wasn't enough. when I bought the combo it was shown with the matching extension speaker. Well after what you guys had written, I talked to the guy at the music store and he called Mesa Boogie. It seems that both my combo and the extension cab are 4ohm as you guys suspected. He said that Boogie doesn't have any 4ohm cabs until you get to the 6X10's or 8x10's and I don't need that kinda rig. Any suggestions??? :help:

9. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Mesa offers this cab in an 8 ohm version, mainly so they can sell you the 8 ohm cab. That guy might not be in the know, but they do. People on this forum have it. In reallity, it is going to be 3-6 dB louder because you gain the extra cone movement (I was never sure if cone area was a 3 or 6 dB gain). The power will be the same coming out of the amp at 4 ohms, no matter what you decide. Do you really need the extra volume? Are you running the cab you have now a high levels? If so, and you want the extra woofer, then you really need to order an 8 ohm extension cab, and a replacement 8 ohm 12" woofer to replace your 4ohm with, then you will be back down to 4 ohms total. Remember that using the combo without the extension cab will bring it down to 8 ohm, and that amp only puts out 150 watts max into 8 ohm, which will make it 3dB quieter than it is now. So you will most likely always need both 12s! This is all in "loose" theory though.

More importantly, how long was the store running your rig at 2 ohm (Assuming they were running the whole stack as a demo)?

Wes

10. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have driven a 2 ohm load with my Walkabout without any problem. The manual actually states that it is stable to 2 ohm, but that 4 ohm is the recommended miniumum load. More commonly, I have driven a 2.67 ohm load (three 8 ohm cabs), and the Walkabout does just fine with this. The most simple (yet admittedly not ideal) solution might be to add an 8 ohm extension cab. This would give you an overall impedance of 2.67 ohm (I believe), which shouldn't bother your head.

Tom.

11. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I don't know how long the combo was used with the extension cab but the combo wasn't there but a couple of weeks before I bought it, so I'll hope for the best. I have never tried Aquilar or Epifini cabs, but Tom I noticed that you recommended Epifini. I was thinking about looking for a 212 4ohm Epifini cab to try out. I tried to call Mesa but they were closed on Fridays. I am not winding the combo out (yet) but I like to have a little more than the situation calls for.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The Epifani T-212 would, indeed, be a good match. However, I prefer the sound of one T-112 and one T-110UL. Also, two 8 ohm cabs are more flexible than one, larger, 4 ohm cab. The T-212 will move a bit more air, but the T-112/T-110UL will have more clarity in the upper mids.

13. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I was thinking about a 212 cab when my 112 combo wasn't enough. I love the tone that I get on the scout combo, so I was thinking of a 212 for a little bigger venue.