Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walking bass and blues sheet music

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Chef, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm looking for some books on walking bass lines and jazz/blues lines. I play this stuff pretty well, but don't read so well, so I'm looking for some stuff to practice site reading, but in genres I already like and understand pretty well...

Thanks!

2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Jim Stinnett and Rob Gourlay both have great books.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Bump! Looking for more fun walking bass lines books to read as I work on my reading skills.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You wanna play something that's fun to read, does wonders for hearing patterns of resolution AND constructing wonderful, melodic bass lines, start playing through the bass parts of Bach two part inventions.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    A great source for bettering your reading is to get into a reading situation. Find a local 'kicks' big band or a community orchestra. There's always one around and they're always looking for bass players.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Don: I'll ceheckity-check it out;)
    Ray: pretty small town I live in. I'm pretty sure if there was such a beast here, I'd already be doing it. But, I will keep my ears open.

Bump for mo' books!

7. Rufus Reid's Evolving Bassist has some good stuff. Also, Bob Magnusson's Art of Walking Bass might benefit you.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    SK, I have the Rufus Reid and have enjoyed that...I'll look into the other one, thanks;

Chef

9. If you've worked through Rufus' book, Magnusson might be too elementary.