Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

walter woods HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacochops, May 1, 2004.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I'm looking at a couple different Woods heads, and I notice that some of them have a red chassis with a black top, and some have a red chassis with a red top...they're both the same generation of amps, but the tops of the chassis are different...does the red top denote stereo, and the black denote mono?
    I need to make a decision today, so gimme some input, please!!
    Thanks, all!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't get it. Are you buying it used? If not, what difference does the color make? Just call him and order what you want, and it will be the appropriate color. If it's a used one, why not call WW and get it from the horse's mouth?

3. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey Munji,
    I really don't give 2 hoots about the color...I am looking at a couple of used amps; but from my understanding, the red top amps are stereo amps which have a lower output than the mono amps. I'm looking for at least 350-400 watts at 8 ohms, which the black top mono amps have, but the red tops don't.
    It took about 12 calls to him to get a response; he has an answering machine that he generally won't pick up. I asked about ordering a new one, but the wait is over a year!! Yikes! So....off to Bassgear, etc looking for the right one. :ninja:

4. Matt;

The dual channel Ultra has 350 Watts @ 8 ohm and 450 @ 4 ohm.

5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I thought you were buying a 900 watter from Walter????

6. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    The The HI POWER Stereo is 350 per side @ 4 ohms, 1000 watts @ 4 ohms bridged. The ULTRA(mono) is 1200 watts @ 4 ohms. All of the Electracoustics have 2 preamp channels.

Don't go by the color of the covers, there are a couple of mono amps out there with red top covers(I have 2 of them). The stereo model will have a pan control knob.

7. My advise to anyone interested in a Walter Woods, is go for the Ultra and be done with it, unless you just have to have a stereo version. The Ultra is the amp that Mr. Woods produces the most. A year wait is a long time though.

8. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Hey Mark,
    I was going to get a 900 from Walter. He set one aside for me last week, and on the day before I was to pick it up, he told me that his wife's brother (or cousin) was a bassist, and she had already promised the amp to him....ug.
    Anyway, I found an Ultra at a good price, so I'm getting it...(should be here Wed.)

9. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    Congrats!! You're getting a great amp.