Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Woods info WTD

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ike Harris, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I've tried to search this forum for WW's phone no. and address, and seems like it gets deleted. So, would someone PM me that info please?

Thanks,
    Ike

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    (760) 772-7952

3. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Hey I have an old woods whose pots are all scratchy. I think there was some kind of thing walter told me to spray in there but I cant remember what it is...Anybody have that problem before? Scratchy pots?

4. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area

Despite what often gets posted here, DON'T use crappy ie. Radio Shack contact cleaner. It can make them worse. The best product is no longer available in the States (Cramolin) but can be had in Germany. The current US replacement product works almost as well and is made specifically for moving contact conductive plastic (potentiometers). It's called CAILUBE and is available at pro audio outlets such as Markertech. Some large music chain stores probably carry it too.

I am not affiliated in any way with the manufacturer

bob

5. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    Thanks,
    I got the good stuff. It worked too.
    While we're on the subjuct of Woodses...I remember walter telling me about bridging the two channels (to get gain) Can anyone explain this to me?
    I just plugged my old woods in again after really not digging the way it sounded with the pick ups I was using. I though that I would just bypass the preamp and plug the solstice in directly (fx return) but low and behold the woods sounds really damn good with the full circle just the way it is.
    Now I am interested in these 2 x 8in cabnets everyone is using. Since i couldn't make heads or tails of the comparison thread (for the cabs) Does anyone have a good 2x8in cabnet pairing for an old red light Woods?

6. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002

7. Yes.... I just sent it back and he replaced them. I think they are sealed... no amount of spraying fixed the problem. He basically charges shipping and has it back to you in 4 or 5 days.

Depending on how old it is, he might be able to do a minor upgrade also.

8. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area

The pots on a WW amp are NOT sealed.

bob

9. I wasn't sure about that... I only know that spraying didn't help. Walter said the pot on mine was pretty much fried and had to be replaced. His service is just great.

10. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    I just talked to walter and he has not done power upgrades or pot repair for 15 years. he said he was too busy. He said his new amps are $1800. and 600 Watts.

11. isolated

isolated Kind of a Jerk, But Funny. Supporting Member

That's a drag. I love my MI-100, but sometimes think it could use a few more watts (for those occasional electric gigs). Hate to think that modification is out of the question, and 600 watts is more than I think I'd ever need....

12. Interesting... he replaced the pot on my Ultra and did a slight upgrade with some components about 6 months ago (my Ultra is a few years old, and he said that he has 'improved' a few of the components recently (it was not a power upgrade though, since I have the maximum 1200 watts in the Ultra) He had the amp back to me within 5 business days. He did the pot for free, and charged $100 for the upgrade plus $30 for 2 day shipping. I'm really not lying about this (which is what the tone of your post seems to suggest... which I really don't appreciate) :meh:

Walter is known for being a little abrupt on the phone though, so you might have caught him 'in a bad mood'

13. flatback

flatback

May 6, 2004
    Bolinas Ca
    No, Walter has always been way cool to me. In fact I have not talked to him in a very long time and he remembered me. Remembered that he had found a used Woods for me then and had set me up with it and what it was.
    I think it is the old amps that he no longer upgrades. Tthey have much different componentry.

I just moved and was going thru some old books...in my (very old) copy of EvolvingBassist there were advertisments for Walter Woods amps on the back page. Just the Mid 80's amp I've got too. Kinda funny.