1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Walter Woods MI 225 Question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dylanjohnson, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Hi WW owners!
    I have my eye on a MI 225, and am wondering if that is the amp that Walter said he can't repair anymore? I read a post somewhere here where that was mentioned. I've never owned a Woods before, and I know the repair situation with Walter is iffy anyway. Anyone have this amp? Is the 300 watts at 4 ohms creating enough volume with a 4 ohm cab?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I used to own one and sold it when I was able to get a newer Electrocoustic MI-200. Apparently there is a component (or components) that can no longer be sourced. If that fails, the amp is toast. I'm not sure if he will work on it if something else is broken.

I used mine with a pair of Epifani 1-12 cabs and later a pair of 1-12 Bergantinos. Plenty of volume, even with a single cab. WW ratings tend to be very conservative. I'm pretty sure it's rated for more than 300W at 4 ohms.

3. Thanks, Brian. That was exactly what I needed to hear!

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The MI-225 is unique in that it has two power amps ganged together, driven by a single power supply. There is an amp service in Germany that claims to have produced

schematics for every Walter Woods model and does repair work.

5. Interesting! I'm thinking I'd probably rather not send an amp to Berlin if I don't have to. I'll keep looking. Thanks, Ric!

6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Dylan,
    Yeah, I get that. What's interesting to me is that technicians in Berlin can "apparently' fix something
    that Walter Woods can't repair himself. Maybe they have a source or stash of components that Walter
    doesn't. Hard to say.

7. @Ric Vice , do the MI 100-8 two channel amps have the same issue, or are they set up differently?

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    No, it's just the MI-225. All the other models are still fixable by Walter.

9. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Not entirely sure about that Brian, but I sure hope you’re right. It kinda depends on whether he can source the components he needs. Always best to contact him to see what can be done. Just my take however..

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The MI-225 is one of my favorite amps ever! I hated selling it. It never failed. Walter told me the same thing about not being able to source that one part anymore. I might have gone into "premature fear".

11. What was the part? There is a single channel 225 for sale right now. Would that have the same issue or is it something having to do with the stereo power amps?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 10:42 AM
  12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Dylan,
    You'd have to speak or write to Walter. My understanding is that the MI-225 has two mono power amplifiers, driven by one SMPS power supply. There was a component or components involved in
    the power distribution from the digital power supply to the independent power amps. Only Walter would have any idea what the issue is. I don't think it would matter if it were the stereo version
    or the mono version.