Walter Woods? Other two channel amps?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by lermgalieu, Feb 9, 2004.

1. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I am becoming increasingly frustrated with my current setup for doubling, which is my K&K wing pup/preamp rigged double bass and my Musicman into the Raven Labs 3 input DI (which I love), then from there into my Carvin RC210 combo (in which I have replacement Neodynium 10" speakers). Here's the thing - the optimum gain stages on the amp are different, even with the preamp, for each bass. Also, obviously, the ideal amp settings (eq, compression or not, etc) for each instrument are different, and I end up with a total compromise so I don't have to fiddle with it every time I switch basses. And lastly, of course the Carvin isn't a DB'ers dream amp.

The only amp I know of that has been touted for this sort of application and that I know will sound great with DB is a Walter Woods. So I've got my eye out for a two channel Woods. But is there anything else somewhat "comparable" and specifically built for people in my situation? There's got to be, right?
  2. Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO

When I was doubling (when I was doubling...), I used an external preamp for URB. I used the preamp section of the bass amp for slab bass. I would send the output of the external preamp into the effects return of the bass amp (this puts the signal after the EQ and before the power amp).

This will allow you to set the bass amp preamp and EQ for slab and use the settings on your external preamp for the real bass. This approach may depend on how the effects return on the amp is wired.

I'm currently using a 2-channel Rane AP-13 preamp. I don't double any more (I don't double any more...) but this preamp is suitable for mic/magnetic PU on one channel and a piezo on the other (which has an ultra-high input impedance) I use a mic on one channel and a BassMax on the other. This little unit also has adjustable (2) effects returns.

Something similar (i.e. an adjustable effects return) might be the ticket......
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the Epifani UL-502 and 902, both due in May, are dual input with separate gain knobs. expect a killer sound.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    As far as amps designed for bass, yep the Woods is currently the only one made with two independent channels.

The Epifani looks interesting, wait and see if they can deliver on schedule (their preamps have been vaporware for almost 2 years).

There are some amps designed for keyboards or acoustic guitar that have multiple channels. The AI Coda has two channels, but one has an XLR mike input only :meh:

There's always vintage amps, most bass amps built before about 1985 had two independent preamp channels.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually I lied...the Eden Metro has two independent channels, now that I think of it.

It's a combo but Eden has shown a head only version at NAMM, their web site says "coming soon!"
  6. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hmm "100 watts into 8 ohms, or 150 watts into 4 ohms" sounds a bit weak to me, but then again I am not that familiar with WW power. The amp in my combo is 175 into 8ohms, 250 into 4ohms. Should I be worried? Do WW amps vary greatly in wattage?

7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    That's the same model I use, LG, it's got plenty of oomph.

Puts nose in air:WW amps vary not at all -- Walter builds them by hand using 1% componants. Nose returns to floor: Anyway, it's a really wonderful-sounding unit and they seem to hold their value just fine.

You could try the Clarus -- which started life as a Woods knock-down without the switching power-amp. Those do (or did) vary; my friend Mark Kleinhaut had to audition three of them before he wound up with one that was as quiet as my 1981 WW-1.

FWIW, I bought my WW-1 before the advent of EBay and www. I called twenty bass-stores with ads in Bass Player looking for one. Seventeen said, "Never heard of it." Two said, "We get one most years." The other guy said, "I'm getting married and I'll sell you mine!"
  8. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2002
    lg, I'm with Sam on WW amps. The newer Electroacoustics
    have far more power and a bit different tone than my
    bipolar transistor MI100-8's but I like and own both. I
    doubt that you'll be disappointed with either for double
    bass - if you get a lower power one find a high efficiency
    speaker for it. I use either an old Baby Blue Monitor cab
    (2x8+1X5) or a Glockenklang AcousticArt MkII (1x10 w/dome
    tweeter). I also love the EA VL208 but I think it speaks better with my newer Ultra power model.
  9. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Just to clarify, by vary I meant are there different specs he builds them to (like different 'models') - I've seen WW amps with more/less power I am pretty sure? Or maybe I am high. Oh well, off to a gig. I think I need a Woods. This damn G.A.S. always comes back!

10. scott reed

Nov 4, 2002
    Walter has simplified things somewhat due to customer
    demand. He makes three models, a 450w mono, an
    800w mono and a 225w/side stereo amp (watts@8ohms).
    All have two channels and the cheapest model is
    $1795+shipping. Older models are the 100-4 in single
    channel, the 100-8 in one, two or four channels and the
    225-8 in one, two or four channels. Avoid the 225-8
    because Walter cannot find parts to repair it if it fails.
    The 100-8 can be refurbished if necessary and the two
    channel model was the favorite of double bassists in
    the late 70's through the 80's who doubled on bass
    guitar. Price was around $700-750 when I bought the
    two I have from Walter over 20 years ago and neither
    have ever needed a repair. A very musical amp with
    exceptional projection and presence imho.
  11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    After Walter dropped the MI 225-8 he made the MI 400-8 and the MI 700-8 along with MI 100-8. I believe this was in the late 80's. Around '91 he built only the MI 200-8 which was the stereo amp model with 6 preamp options. Around '96 he introduced the Electracoustic which is what he still builds today. The Electracoustic was originally available in 24 different models, it's now down to 3.
  12. I thought he did four models:

hi power 450w
    super hi power 650w
    ultra hi power 1200w
    hi power 1000s (stereo)

am i wrong here?

What are the prices nowadays for these amps?
  13. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    I haven't talked to Walter in a couple of months but I heard from 2 people he just dropped one model. One person told me the Hi Power and the other told me the Super. So I'm not sure which, but I would bet he dropped the Super.

The Ultra is $2199, the Stereo is $2099, and I believe the Hi Power is $1499 or $1549.
  14. scott reed

Nov 4, 2002

I talked to Walter three weeks ago and the Hi Power was
    dropped as was the Lo Power. The Super is still in regular
    production. My understanding is that the Stereo is now
  15. NeedMoreBass

Feb 14, 2003
    It helps to talk to the man himself. Walter has NOT dropped the Hi Power model. So, there are still 4 models available; the Hi Power, Super Hi Power, Ultra Hi Power, and the Hi Power Stereo. I forgot to ask about the prices, I'll do that next week sometime.
  16. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    So there's a MI 100-8 for sale on ebay which I am interested in, but I'd like to know from anyone who has played with one whether they think this will be sufficient for doubling (and playing some rock tunes) in smallish clubs. I will probably put it through 2 10s or 2 12s or something like that, and I want to make sure its gonna have enough power, especially with the electric bass (I play a Stingray). Any thoughts? Its not too urgent since these seem to come up on ebay quite often, but this one looks like a decent deal.

There's some higher power ones as well on there, but they are about twice the price, so I don't want to get one unless I need to. My teacher has an MI 100-8 but I won't see him or be able to try it out until Wednesday...
  17. mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    "Smallish clubs" is the operative term here. It will be fine, and has a certain "transparency" of tone that is just wonderful! The only caveat; it will not compete with a loud drummer, no matter. I know this from experience.

18. lermgalieu

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I am leaning towards a Clarus now for that very reason. I think a Clarus II with a Euphonic Wizzy 112 might be what I am looking for. I am going to try out my teacher's Clarus tomorrow to see what I think. I definitely need a little headroom at least.